Extreme Upper Access Models

I'm going to be starting a new build soon and its going made for playing fast. I need a design with extremely easy access to the upper frets (with 1 hum in the bridge). Even more so then one of those Jackson or Schecter "Extreme Axcess" features. The problem is i suck at designing something that is aesthetically pleasing that incorporates these features.

Do you guys know of any designs that look good and are ridiculously ergonomic with the upper fret access?

Tou could do some kind of v (flying, king, Rhoads, or otherwise) with extra frets and part of the treble-side body cut away for easier access. Unless you like to play sitting down.

edit: looks like wes was way ahead of me. hooray for simultaneous posting.

Beautiful guitars, by the way, wes.

Edited by dude

That KXK V is the best guitar I own..all around...I only wish it was entirely mahogany and had a kahler...

But since I ordered an all mahogany one with a kahler...I think that will soon be remedied..

Got another guitar ordered from Ormsby which promises to be SOOO kick ass...but I would not want to ruin Ormsby's fun by spilling the beans on the ideas until it's done...

Two words for ya:

cor

vus

frontclose.jpg

The way I tweaked it, it's pretty balanced. A very slight mod of the neck pocket, which would be helped by a set or through neck, would give as much access as any V.

FWIW, an SG has pretty good access too. Moving the strap button to the horn is said to solve any balance issues.

Not to argue with you,metalhead...but yes,there is impediment on the Jackson(I have a Jackson neck tru V and had two soloists)

I sold my Jackson soloists a while back because after playing the Vees for a while I just could not tolerate the inability to hit the upper frets without twisting my wrist sideways...

When you get to a certain age,your wrists are not as "loose" as the once were...and it can become an issue...In my teens and 20s though the jackson and Ibanez models were plenty sufficient.

and Avenger...he SAID a good looking model... :D

Also...my own adaptation of the explorer,which you are free to use...like the V,it balances perfectly and upper fret access is ridiculous

l_688f89a3730304025d8a4248365292b9.jpg

l_900461b1d0886a19e599faeaf54781d0.jpg

Hey i remember that! That thing is amazing. Explorers are pretty awesome for playability as well as a cool shape, but the only problem is I just built one and want something fresh. Is that bloodwood fb btw?

I figured out it's actually the bulky heel on single cutaway types that really restricts my access to the upper area. I' guess i'm looking for double cutaway type designs or ones that have a low profile heel. I'm not a fan of v's cause i can't play them sitting down. What are some crazy dc designs?

Not to argue with you,metalhead...but yes,there is impediment on the Jackson(I have a Jackson neck tru V and had two soloists)

I sold my Jackson soloists a while back because after playing the Vees for a while I just could not tolerate the inability to hit the upper frets without twisting my wrist sideways...

When you get to a certain age,your wrists are not as "loose" as the once were...and it can become an issue...In my teens and 20s though the jackson and Ibanez models were plenty sufficient.

I guess you run into the horn then?

I never really thought about the horn being in the way. We must just position our hands differently or something.

I guess you run into the horn then?

The upper horn more than anything...but only if I am standing to play...it puts my hand in a strange position...if I am sitting down it is different,but I play standing up 99.9% of the time.

Sometimes to record I use an LP...which I play sitting down.

One time playing my beast I slid down to the 17th position for that first lead to "Jump in the fire"...that part where it jumps from G to G and back several times...and I nailed the lower horn with the side of my palm...cramped my hand up and bruised it pretty bad...since then I am a bit gun shy about lower horns as well...but that is more psychological,really.

This is the "U.Z.R.T.O.C.B.B.F.V. (H.A.!)" (or "Pagelli's Ultra Zero Reduced Three Octave Comfort Balanced Body Fretless Bass With Hyper Access")

img017.jpg

It's call the Goldbass in Robert Shaw's "Hand Made Hand Played" (a great book for inspiration)

While I know it's the bass the design could easily be converted into a guitar. If you want I could lend my Illustrator design experience and help you get some schematics worked out. I'd just need scale length, pickup layout and preferred headstock layout to get started.

I like this b/c it gives you the access you want, but doesn't really look common like the V's or the other big name guitars.

Just food for thought!

-Dean

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm diggin them all.

Dean- The gold bass looks interesting and very logical when it comes to comfort without looking like everything else. I dig it but it just seems like it should be a bass and not a guitar (at least a fretted 6 string).

Avdekan- That thing is sick. I love the design cause its different but not too radical. It looks like it has exactly what i want when it comes to the cutaways. The only thing i would change if i were to attempt it is the back area behind the bridge wouldn't be cut out as much. I'm really considering a design like that. It looks like you did a great job with it. It looks ridiculously clean and well built. What kind of finish did you use?

Ae3- The horus is sweet. I love the design i don't think i'd need all those frets but it would be an added perk. I think i'd go with a different headstock. Caparisons are boss cause KSE plays them.

Avdekan- That thing is sick. I love the design cause its different but not too radical. It looks like it has exactly what i want when it comes to the cutaways. The only thing i would change if i were to attempt it is the back area behind the bridge wouldn't be cut out as much. I'm really considering a design like that. It looks like you did a great job with it. It looks ridiculously clean and well built. What kind of finish did you use?

thanks man.

the finish is 3 coats of matte polyurethane lacquer. it was just enough to seal & protect the maple while leaving the wenge open-grained (oil-like finish).

A really simple way to provide easier access to the upper registers would be approaching it like Herman Li's signature Ibanez EGEN guitar. He simply used the traditional S series body and wizard neck, put some black paint on his palm and played the upper fets. Where the paint rubbed off was shaved away and repeated until it no longer obstructed his playing. You could do this with whichever body design you wanted and it would always match your playing perfectly.

Ibanez EGEN video

image008.jpg

Edited by MuffinPunch