9v Battery Socket

dude

IME the 18v mod is worth doing in some cases ie to get rid of (EMG internal) preamp clipping when using heavy gauge strings and/or hitting hard.

It could also be the EMGs high output is clipping the amps input which with most SS amps sounds pretty bad.

Edited by borge

You're having problems getting a clean enough tone out of a solid state amp with active pickups? Maybe it's your ears that need cleaning :D

Haha. Good call, but my problem isn't with getting a clean tone, but rather a clearer tone when distorting. As the batteries wear down, the sound gets muddier. It's really not pleasant to listen to. But, when you put in a fresh battery, the high frequencies are all there and clearly defined. It sounds something like a thousand angels singing a heavenly chorus - just in guitar form. The idea was that the extra voltage would give this same effect, only more so. Plus, if nothing else, as the twin 9v batteries wear down, the voltage will still be at or above 9 for quite some time, so the pickups will sound better for longer as well (not because the batteries wear down slower - which they won't - but rather they produce good sound while worn down further). That was my reasoning. Perhaps I am misled.

You're having problems getting a clean enough tone out of a solid state amp with active pickups? Maybe it's your ears that need cleaning :D

Haha. Good call, but my problem isn't with getting a clean tone, but rather a clearer tone when distorting. As the batteries wear down, the sound gets muddier. It's really not pleasant to listen to. But, when you put in a fresh battery, the high frequencies are all there and clearly defined. It sounds something like a thousand angels singing a heavenly chorus - just in guitar form. The idea was that the extra voltage would give this same effect, only more so.

Yes, exactly right.

The internal preamps clipping point become earlier as the voltage lowers (ie dying battery) so as you've worked out, raising the voltage raises the clipping point (and therefore dynamic range)

IIRC EMGs can be run at up to 27volts... so you could take it alot further..... :D don't take my word for it though, confirm with EMG.

yes the emg pickups will runn at 27 volts but in if you read emg's web site they recomend 18v max according to them the benifits are negligable at 27 volts.

ok i know this can be done with ac but its been a while since i did my electronic so bear with me. is there a way to build a variable voltage regulator that way you could run two batteries in serries and use a pot to vary them say between 10v and 18v?

you could just wire the pot as a variable resistor (as you turn up the resistance, the voltage on the pickups decreases), but that might be a bad idea. I'm not sure if it's good practice to adjust the voltage like that. Might cause heat problems, etc...

you could just wire the pot as a variable resistor (as you turn up the resistance, the voltage on the pickups decreases), but that might be a bad idea. I'm not sure if it's good practice to adjust the voltage like that. Might cause heat problems, etc...

Not to mention the power you waste by turning it into heat.

It'd be like a magic efficiency knob. Oh boy, turn it down to 0% efficiency and turn it into an easy-bake.

I guess you could try something with a transformer, but having one close to a pickup sounds like a bad idea. Magnetic fields and whatnot.

edit: Looks like I'm just full of plausible but unwise ideas today :D

Edited by dude

I guess you could try something with a transformer

Transformers only work for AC. You would have to use an inverter circuit not what you want in a guitar!

Have a look here:Variable regulators

Should do what you want.

You can also get the lower current versions of the regulator IC's I think they are 7805L, or 7809L if my memory serves me correctly. They are much smaller, around the size of a plastic transistor or FET and will handle the currents required for preamps.

Keith

I guess you could try something with a transformer

Transformers only work for AC. You would have to use an inverter circuit not what you want in a guitar!

Have a look here:Variable regulators

Should do what you want.

You can also get the lower current versions of the regulator IC's I think they are 7805L, or 7809L if my memory serves me correctly. They are much smaller, around the size of a plastic transistor or FET and will handle the currents required for preamps.

Keith

thanks i need to research that some more that would be kinda cool to have in place of a tone knob.