What's Your Favorite Part About Building?

Narcissism

So what's your favorite part about building a guitar? My favorite step is lining up the neck pocket, doing a bunch of measurements and then placing the bridge and pickup locations. I like doing this because its very mechanical, and you can tell when you've done it right for the most part.

I also enjoy the sanding and contouring part. I like this part because its like you get to put your own personal touches into it, and its all freehand. You don't have a template to guide you; just your hands, your eyes, a pencle, and some parts laying around. Sandpaper and chisels are pretty cool to have too.

Anyone else?

Thinking about it. Otherwise its a dirty, messy, noisy (at times) and tedious chore... a necessary evil. :D The physical action required in all the steps is just an afterthought compared to the challenge of deciding how, when, where and why I'm going to do it, and what tools and materials I will use. The name of the game, for me, is economizing my efforts / actions and "getting it right the first time". Otherwise, I'm just a real lazy bastard who fixes guitars for beer. :D

Edited by Southpa

There are a few for me - since I buy almost all my wood in the rough, I really enjoy planing it off and seeing the detail of what's underneath. There are usually some surprises (most of them good).

I really like working on the fretboard - binding the board, rolling the edges, fretting, making the ends nice. Making it feel like it's been played for 10 years already.

I like levelling & buffing the finish too - when I'm in a patient mood that is, a little background music, bucket of soapy water, being really picky. But if I'm in a hurry and don't have a couple of hours free I won't do it.

I also really like wiring the electronics - I've always enjoyed soldering.

Designing and implemeting the electronics. I like figuring out what sounds I want and building a circuit for it. Choosing pickups is a bitch though, but I try to stay clear of the common combinations and choose something interesting without losing my mind over it.

Other than that the entire design process is fun. I can't say I really enjoyed the actual building, but I might have if we had the tools to do it properly.

Btw if any of you guys need a wiring harness done, schematics that you can't find anywhere else, or ideas for control layout I'd be happy to do it.

I've always enjoyed soldering.

It's those rosin fumes, they're addicting. :D

Edited by Keegan

I gotta agree with wes on shaping the neck. That's definitely the best. Rasp, spokeshave, and sandpaper, good stuff :D

Milling rough boards and the initial glue up and body shaping. This gives me the fasted bang for the buck. The majority of the work is also interesting but less enjoyable.

I've with Erik on the cleaning up wood! :D

The Burmese Ironwood I mean the Strat-style and 2 cut from was from one large log I purchased it from a timber merchant - it was weathered and near black on the outside only to be cut in half to reveal partly flamed and figured grain. Very satisfying!

Otherwise I also enjoy lining up all the pockets and controls and drilling and routing them.

I guess I'm also a bit of a sanding fool as well . . I've spent entire days gradually sanding down a body to 2000 grit - you guys finishing with laquer just going to 240 or 320 before spraying it don't know what your missing out on! :D

B)

I can usually go from 80 to 2k in like 30 minutes on a whole body and neck.

Well that is just wierd...it takes me at least a couple of hours to do a body and another hour on a neck...and that is on soft woods...but I am very thorough...

Agree!

I could go from 80 to 2k in 30 minutes but it'd look like crap!

I think in general some of the body woods I use are denser and harder than many woods used in the west - take Burmese Ironwood - it's a lovely timber with a great fully bodied tone and sustain however it's like sanding granite (and blunts carbide router bits double quick!)! It's takes nearly 2 days of sanding on the body to get it to a mirror finish graduating from 80, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 . . . in total approx 20 sheets of paper per body! Where possible I avoid 80 grit with it due to the deep scratches being a bitch to get rid of.

In comparison an Afzelia Xylee or Red Padouk body would only take a day to get to 2000.

The old saying repeated ad nasum by wood work teachers is "when you think you've finished sanding, you've only just begun!".

Basically my aim at a 2000 grit finish is for it to be mirror finish and under whatever scrutiny of angling into light no scratching should be visible.

Some black and white ebony smells STRONGLY like a combination of flowers and armpit. It's confusing (it's also toxic and will fry your nostrils :D ).

Never noticed the toxicness . . . then again I've never sniffed it close enough to find out! :D

It's does have a very BO type of smell when worked!

It might just be me actually. People react differently different things, like poison ivy.

If I breath in even a little B&W ebony dust, I'll have a sore chest by the time I leave the shop and I'll be hacking up stuff for the next couple days. It even makes my nostrils and windpipe burn. It has a nasty effect on me, but some other woods, like cocobolo, don't seem to do anything to me, but really mess up other people.

The worst is B&W ebony splinters. They feel and look like bee stings on me. :D

Edited by NotYou

You haven't lived until you've had an ironwood splinter - that always end up going in real deep! :DB)

The other day I shaped up my Siam rosewood neck for my 8 string and the dust from that was EVIL! It actually stung on my skin . . and shaping the back of a neck it's pretty impossible to avoid creating dust. :D

On the flip side of this thread on the thing I least like doing I think it would be shaping the back of necks . . B)

If i had to pick something i disliked about building, then it would have to be the finish... I hate working with wetsanding papers. Its messy, and you have to do it again... and again... and again... if you're using a brush. I really should have started with the rattle can. That stuff came out so much nicer!

I honestly HATE making cavity covers. I make my own cavity templates, but its impossible for me to make the covers match exactly. I HATE IT!!!!

Now a hate this part post. It was inevitable.

I once used a template set and made the cavitity cover match exactly. However it was so tight you could not remove it. So much for precision. I now want them loose as thay are made from wood.

I hate sanding, ugh.

I honestly HATE making cavity covers. I make my own cavity templates, but its impossible for me to make the covers match exactly. I HATE IT!!!!

Now a hate this part post. It was inevitable.

I once use a template set and made the cavitity cover match exactly. However it was so tight you could not remove it. So much for precision. I now want them loose as thay are made from wood.

I hate sanding, ugh.

This is when a couple of layers of masking tape wrapped around the bearing edge of the template shine :D