Humbucker With 3 Mounting Lugs?

I am restoring an old bass guitar. The pickups on it are humbuckers, and I need to replace one of them as it's coil is o/c (or I could rewind it I suppose), but instead of the usual single screw at each end for height adjustment and mounting in the rings, these have 2 screws at one end, and one at the other. The size seems to be about standard (70x39mm). The only other 3 lugged pickup I can find using google is the larger Music Man type.

I guess I can just drill a hole in the centre of the mounting ring at the end where there are 2 at the moment, then use a normal humbucker?

Are you asking if a normal humbucker will fit or if it's advisable to use a guitar humbucker on a bass?

Sorry to be unclear. I guess the first question is if these 3-lugged pickups can be purchased anywhere, but as they might be expensive anyway, should I use a normal bass humbucker that will fit with just the small mod I suggested to the mounting hole.

I never thought about the possibility of using a normal humbucker from a 6 string - will that work - it's only a 4 string bass)

If I were you, I'd rewind it, if you have the equipment.

If you're just looking to replace them, would the schaller bass humbuckers fit? They have extra screw lugs and seem to be the right size(68x37mm). If the two screws on the one side are 8mm apart, it should mount just fine.

http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp135071/Bassbucker.htm

20___232.jpg

Edit: Rio grande also has some that look to be the same dimensions as the schaller(including the extra screw holes)

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/Prod...ctName=For+Bass

Edit 2: There's also this from SD, but it'd require a modification to the mounting ring like you said http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/cust...awkbuckervario/

Also any guitar pickup with blades should work just fine(though probably not as well since they're not optimized for bass). Or if you really want to get crazy, make a new mounting ring for a strat rail pickup. The lipstick tube humbuckers from GFS might do well, too.

Haha, sorry if I've overanswered your question. I was intrigued and searched around.

Edited by Keegan

I appreciate all the ideas....

Thought I'd post a picture or two, as it is an interesting old guitar. You can see that the two mounting lugs at the top of the humbucker are quite far apart, so I don't think I can use the pickup you posted the photo of (guess I'll drill the mounting ring to take something more standard)

img_1235ModifiedinGIMPImageEditor.jpg

img_1234ModifiedinGIMPImageEditor.jpg

and this is the headstock with the machine heads I mentioned in my other question

img_1236ModifiedinGIMPImageEditor.jpg

Why not bolt a small plate of metal to the ear of the replacement humbucker through the centered hole, and then drill and tap two new holes on this plate spaced appropriately to match the mounting rings?

Or, what about replacing the pickups *and* the mounting rings?

On the Rio Grande Pitbulls - I couldn't find anyone who could actually get those when I wanted a set. I had them backordered for over 6 months from two different places. You may be able to order them direct from Rio Grande, I can't remember if I tried that or not.

Why not bolt a small plate of metal to the ear of the replacement humbucker through the centered hole, and then drill and tap two new holes on this plate spaced appropriately to match the mounting rings?

Or, what about replacing the pickups *and* the mounting rings?

On the Rio Grande Pitbulls - I couldn't find anyone who could actually get those when I wanted a set. I had them backordered for over 6 months from two different places. You may be able to order them direct from Rio Grande, I can't remember if I tried that or not.

Great ideas. If the mounting rings fit, that's the easiest solution. If not, the adapter plate would work well too.

Slightly off topic, but you should try and reuse those pickup covers. You can't buy aged like that. :D

(and maybe even pole pieces if it's possible to screw them out and put them in the new pickup? I have no idea, never seen it done)

Yes, aged is a good word for the way they look :D If it will fit, I'll definitely put the cover on the new pickup.

I pulled the faulty pickup apart and it's completely dismantleable. There's a frame under the cover, and 2 separate interlocking magnets with pole pieces. The coils (in plastic formers) just slide off them. They were originally stuck with what looks like contact cement (which has hardened and largely let go). I guess I could get it rebuilt - or at least just send the faulty coil away for rewinding - if I was determined to restore this to complete originality.

I know this is a little off topic question but is the bridge held in place just by string tension?? I ask because the tailpiece looks like it has been move a little to the treble side of the instrument. Whatever you decide to do with the pickup please keep those pickup covers.

I know this is a little off topic question but is the bridge held in place just by string tension?? I ask because the tailpiece looks like it has been move a little to the treble side of the instrument. Whatever you decide to do with the pickup please keep those pickup covers.

Yes it's a fully floating bridge, just like a more normal archtop (did I mention this is a full hollowbody as well?). A lovely big solid chunky thing it is too. One thing about it that is odd, is a little metal 'shelf' under the strings just forward of the slanted bridge saddle. I think you can see it in the photos. It looks like it used to have something stuck to it. I was thinking it might have been a foam damper or something, but if so, I can't see any mechanism to switch it in and out. Any other suggestions on what it is?

I noticed it was a little bit to one side also (judging by the alignment of the strings and the pickup poles). The strings are stuffed too, so I will give it a full setup and reposition the bridge when I have fixed the pickup.

It was probably a foam mute like you see on Jaguars. Maybe the bridge buzzed and the owner's solution was to stick foam under there. Or he just wanted a muted sound...who knows.

Are you going to refinish it while you have everything off?

It was probably a foam mute like you see on Jaguars. Maybe the bridge buzzed and the owner's solution was to stick foam under there. Or he just wanted a muted sound...who knows.

Are you going to refinish it while you have everything off?

I haven't decided how much refinishing to do. If I wanted to restore to new condition, I'd need to get the gold hardware replated, but, as many people here have suggested, the aged look of the pickups etc might be a look to preserve. Hey, they sell reproductions of rock stars guitars with the scratches all faithfully reproduced! :D

The back of this guitar had started to come away from the edge at the bottom. I think the wood has suffered a little shrinkage. I have reglued it, and need to smooth the edge where the finish has all worn away. I was thinking of respraying just the edge and various chips to seal it, then see how it looks after cleaning and polishing.

wsc sell them, don't know about the quality though?

wsc website

cheers

darren

Nah, the dimensions are too large, and they look like surface mount. I bet they are more Music Man replacements.

Thanks anyway.

I have ordered an EMG bass humbucker from a local store that I think will even fit inside the old pickup cover. That and a new mounting ring, and I should be set.