Drak, 'the Spalted Sisterhood'

Pics will be forthcoming soon.

The Tele is from the Rustler Roundup series of Teles I built, it didn't get a Cowskull because the spalt was so so so so crumbly and delicate, I just couldn't pull off the cutout, but it was built along with the others up to a point.

That body is probably 4-5 years old and is about 90% done at this point.

The Strat I just started this weekend and is a new build and is going great.

Both Sweet Spalted Sistahs! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about famous, but I have been very very remiss in not posting

full blown finished pics of the Steerhead/Roundup collection.

First, I had just stopped posting any pics at all for a long time, then I left the Internet alltogether for awhile, then I bought a house and that took all my time for awhile, then I was waiting for sunny weather and it never seemed to come, then when it came, I was busy doing other things...just seems one thing after another has prevented me from documenting and posting them all together, which I want to to before they start getting too nicked up from using them. One (Trail Boss) already fell from it's stand, nothing terrible, but it did nick a tuner and a spot on the backside of the body... :D

The spalts are not from the same batch of wood, but they are very similar in appearance,

and both very spalty and totally rotten, balsa-wood soft spalts.

The Tele is an Alder core, the Strat is a Black Limba core, both have spalted lams on front -and- back.

The neck I'm using for the Strat is a hockey-stick Jackson-ish metal neck, and already has the spalt lam on the headstock from several years ago, I was planning on using it on an old spalted Shark V I built a few years ago then trashed when I came up with my newer, sleeker Shark V model, so the neck headstock is already lammed and ready to go.

I'll get pics up ASAP :D

I take it this was done an a scroll saw? If not, what did you use?

You don't know that Drak is the Master if the Scroll Saw!!! He uses it for EVERYTHING!

BTW, great pieces Drak! I always loved spalt, but always feared all the care needed to rout and work with it! Nice job!

Edited by Maiden69

I take it this was done an a scroll saw? If not, what did you use?

You don't know that Drak is the Master if the Scroll Saw!!! He uses it for EVERYTHING!

BTW, great pieces Drak! I always loved spalt, but always feared all the care needed to rout and work with it! Nice job!

A man after my own heart. The more I use mine, the more I love it.

Yes, yes, Maiden is quite correct, it was done on the TRUMPETS BLARE! ...scrollsaw. :D

God I just couldn't resist doing that... :D

Yeah, there is a lot to think through when using really spalted pieces, but if you can build a guitar, you can figure it out.

For example...the slot for the lever switch, I wouldn't DARE try to cut that out without stiffening it up front and back with CYA first, and even then, I will proceed with all the caution in the world...one slip, one chip-out, and it's all over, but y'all know I'm not exactly 'risk-averse', dontcha? B)

Also, I'm considering using longer screws for the bridgeplate since 1/4" of the screw is just biting into balsa wood.

Like I said, if you can already build a guitar, these things are just common sense if you think it through.

I cannot WAIT to hit this muthu with CYA once it's final sanded, which is where it's at now.

I hate final sanding guitars, don't you? B)

As far as the Black Limba goes, hell, I bought a 12' x 14" x 2" board of it a few years back, I'm not gonna run out of it anytime soon, and honestly, I didn't buy it for it's looks, I bought it for it's Tone, so I could care less if it shows or not really, it's a great sounding wood to use, the looks are just an afterthought for me, and if I remember right, it was cheaper by the board foot than Mahogany was.