Drak, 'the Spalted Sisterhood'

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I'm not filling as such. The voids have been planned in as features, so filling would be self-defeating. The loose bark has been teased out, and wire wooled to remove debris. Straight clearing I think. Easier.

I wonder why the CA reacted with the spalting....was it in the inky lines or the punky white rot areas? I can imagine the punky areas would be likely to do it, as fungii that spalt maple consume lignin and produce CO² as part of their biological function. Anything that can do something like that to tough biopolymers won't go down without a fight. :D

Oddly enough I had a similar reaction with CA and walnut not too long ago. I was messing around with filling a chip, and testing some sample pieces. Filled test void with walnut dust and added a little water thin CA. About 15 seconds later; sizzling, smoking and a lava flow type effect occured.

I love the headstock with that body, but then again I am a big Jackson fan. I actually prefer the reversed headstock on a strat style body, but won't turn down a standard one. Fall is a long time to wait to see how this one turns out, considering how good it looks right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks beautiful! I love spalted maple, and think the hardware goes well with the design. I generally don't like anything to do with teles, but the bridge actually looks really cool with it too. :D

SPALT-030.jpg

Man Drak... that thing is begging for a couple of Gold plated Humbuckers. I know you are the king of Teles and have I faith in your creative ability, but man I see some nice PAFs in that beast.

Thanks for sharing the CA low down.

Inspiring as always.

You pretty much nailed it. :D

The gold Tele bridge is just for the mocker pics, my plan is to use a Black Gotoh HB Tele bridge, a black pkp ring for the neck, and two Gold-plated HB's, so your tracking right with me.

Black tuning knobs and black control knobs as well, overall black hardware pkg. w/ gold pkps.

You pretty much nailed it. :D

The gold Tele bridge is just for the mocker pics, my plan is to use a Black Gotoh HB Tele bridge, a black pkp ring for the neck, and two Gold-plated HB's, so your tracking right with me.

Black tuning knobs and black control knobs as well, overall black hardware pkg. w/ gold pkps.

Great!!!!! Awesome. I like the knobs ... even though I told John to use Chicken Head knobs on the Dragon....

Thanks... I feel like my sense of style is OK now.

• 1 year later...

Pulling a few threads out of the closet today...

I've been working on this one for the past few months.

The primary thing I've done besides build up the finish is to add some amber toner coats to it.

It looked good in natural, but the more toner coats I added, the more I kept liking it, so here are a few progress pics as it got more and more amber-ized.

I really like the color now, just 2-3 more clearcoats and it's done pretty much.

These shots are just cleared over, no toner yet.

SPALTEDSTRAT039.jpg

SPALTEDSTRAT040.jpg

...And let's bring her up-to-date now, just shot the final color coat yesterday, and am now just clearing over it.

I liked it both ways really, but I think this amberized version will look Boss Hoss with some gold and black hardware appointments. :D

SPALTEDSTRAT043.jpg

SPALTEDSTRAT044.jpg

SPALTEDSTRAT047.jpg

SPALTEDSTRAT046.jpg