Sand Back Of Neck To Replicate 'road Worn'

Hi all,

I stumbled across this site while researching how to perform some mods to one of my necks. I've been searching previous posts for about 30 minutes but I've been unable to find what I'm after.

Basically, I've got a Fender Road Worn neck that I absolutely love the feel of. I've also got a poly finished Warmoth neck that I want to sand down to replicate the feel of the Road Worn. The questions I have are:

1). What grit sandpaper should I use to get the poly off?

2). Is there a finish on the back of the Road Worn necks?

I'd really appreciate any insight you all can give. Thanks! :D

According to the website the necks have a urethane finish on them. Unfortunately they are not saying what the relic process is. Sorry it's not much help.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I don't necessarily need the relic process per se, but mainly information on what type of sandpaper to use to remove the poly finish from the neck. Info about the urethane finish would be a bonus. :D

Poly finish is known to be somewhat "sticky". I recommend that you start out with fine steel wool to get a duller, more "satin" finish. If you do not like it it is easier to restore to original condition compared to if you use sand paper.

Like the others have already said, try steel wool or scoth-brite pads. Any sandpaper you want is going to be in the ultra fine categories, and the steel wool and pads will do the same thing, but I find easier to control and get a nicer finish with. A little 000 or 0000 steel wool takes a sticky poly neck down to nice and smooth very easy, you don't need to attack it with heavy grits of sandpaper.

It's not a good idea to take the finish off completely, unless you want to put something else on. That's why I suggested steel wool and not sandpaper, it cuts less. You can really dig in with it and not worry about sanding through.

If you want to try sandpaper, you'd probably be safe with anything 1000+, just take it easy and check the feel as you go.

It's not a good idea to take the finish off completely, unless you want to put something else on. That's why I suggested steel wool and not sandpaper, it cuts less. You can really dig in with it and not worry about sanding through.

If you want to try sandpaper, you'd probably be safe with anything 1000+, just take it easy and check the feel as you go.

Great. Thanks!

If you decide, against the recomendations, to sand back to the wood it will take something a bit more agressive than 1000 grit to get poly off the back of the neck. Id say try the steel wool first. If you decide to go "all in" and get rid of the finish a stripper (a cemical, not a girl) is a start, but hey, that is a huge project if you have no experience in those things.

a stripper (a cemical, not a girl) is a start

Though the girl works too if she's handy with a random orbit sander.

Picked up some 000 and 0000 steel wool. Will give it a shot this weekend and update. Thanks!

Hey guys, I've gone over it several times with the 000 steel wool, however it's not getting rid of that "plasticy" feeling that I can't stand. Please advise on what grit sandpaper to use to get this joker down to the wood. I'll be doing it by hand. Thanks. :D

Slow and easy doesn't really apply when trying to sand through Urethane, or any lacquer really.

It's going to take some serious elbow grease to get rid of the finish, oh, and make sure you oil the raw wood for protection. I've used Danish oil with great results. Don't worry though, it doesn't change the feel of the raw wood at all.

it will take some time but here is a process that i started with

first off sit down and figure out where the fret board is gonna get wear form you playing the guitar (that way it looks natural)

then tape off the frets (per the scaloping tutorial) get a set of cheap string and string up the guitar then use steel wool to wear where your fingers would normaly make contact. i haven't gotten far but i have been playing with this and it is getting some results but wearing through the finish is harder than it sounds