Ferrules absolutely needed?

i have decided to ditch the back plate and am going to recess the screws...but are the ferrules needed or can i just recess the head of the screw till its flat? what do the ferrules do? are they needed or can i get by without em? thanks

well if your guitar ever gets knocked over your neck screws might crack the wood, see the head of the screw is like a pyramid( well actually more like a cone, anyways), as you tighten it, it not only pushes down into the wood, but the 2 angled walls of the screw head also push the wood away, if you tighten it enough you'll crack the wood in the neck joint. ferrules help redirect the sideways force so that the screw is only pushing down into the wood and over a larger metal surface (the bottom of the ferrule), and prevents this kind of brakage. so they're recommended if you don't have a plate.

I would definately use ferrules, they are very cheap and you'll probably regret not using them the day your nice guitar shows the first cracks. KrazyDerek ist completely right here, that the ferrules redirect the sideways force and therefore greatly decrease the risk of cracks. I dont really understand your problem though:

If you have enough place for the screwheads why not for the ferrules? Usually they only have a some mm's bigger radius than the screwheads themselves.

If there is so little wood around the screw that a ferrule will stick out outside the heel, I'd say you MUST have a ferrule, because the pressure from the angled sides of the screw will break the thin piece of wood.

you all have a very good point and i agree..the ferrules are the safest way to go...i would have to move two of the screws tho if i want to use them...if i move the screws toward the center of the neck will this affect strength? and also what size drill bit do i use to drill the back of the neck? thanks guys....the black paint is goin on today too!...thanks for the help

you use a drill diametor (sp?) that is the same as the screw without the threads, so that the threads will protrude out of the pilot hole but the rest will go through it, if you get what i'm saying

ive ordered the ferrules from stew mac along with some neck screws(so i can put the current ones back on my strat haha) and i get what you mean about putting them up to each other and sizing them...good idea...ill try that...thanks for your help guys!

well I didnt read the posts very well but I caught something about someone needing to know what size hole to drill so something can thread or something along those lines anyways these might help and they're free: http://www.billetproof.com/downloads/techcards.htm

check out the drill and tap size card taps are what you run through a hole to thread it.

I am all set with the ferrules issue..and i know how to drill the neck holes as i tested it last night on another project....but this question got ignored last time...if i move two of the screws towards the center of the neck will this affect the strength of the neck joint? i wouldnt want it to break on me... thanks

For cheap ferrules like that, go to a capinet shop or hardwood store and get what the call beauty rings. Sme thing ony dirt cheap

i'm sorry litchfield but aren't beauty rings those light gauge washer type things that are just curled over?neck ferrules are way heavier and flat on the back.

those beauty rings have no real strength...

well i was feeling saucy so i just relocated the two screws...so now all i have to do is await the arival of my ferrules then countersink the holes for them to go in...im glad i moved the screws because now i can round the back of the guitar more for a more comfortable feel...thanks guys

Explorer Pictures

Sorry i wanted to post the pics in here but my damn server went down...so i had to resort to yahoo...sorry guys...but those are the pics...sorry for the low quality...its just my little eyeball camera...but the pics explain themselves

EDIT: 100th post!! whoo! what a great way to do it too...postin pics of my guitar...thanks guys! [/being cocky]

I saw a Tele copy a while back that had a metal plate with six holes drilled in it in place of the ferrules. This might be easier to fit than the ferrules, as you could put the holes right near the edge, and you wouldn't have to recess the indivudual string heads. You could mill one slot for the ball ends to sit in, then drill your six holes behing them.

Just a couple fo thoughts.