Angled Neck Joint Question

I just started my first build from scratch and I had a question. If the body shape was angled where it met the neck (set neck) could I do something like this:

neckjointQ.jpg

I want to do a kind of Les Paul looking neck joint but I want it to follow the angle of the body.

Hope the pic makes sense :D

Thanks,

Edited by WAK Guitars

I am working on one myself in the finished and in progress section. Full size joint is the key just like wood is good says.

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1116.jpg

But it would not work for a les paul shape otherwise you will see all of one side of the heal and loose all that gluing surface. But if your body permits a full neck joint like spokes its definately the way to go.

I beg to differ, regarding the obsolescence of Gibson-style tenons as opposed to full width tenons. Take a Les Paul for example, where the lower cutaway curves into the neck. Without a narrower tenon/mortice, the structural integrity of the neck join would be severely weakened to the point of comedy (or at least, known modern Gibson standard). That and SGs would be (even) less likely to work as a design! This is a fantastic illustration of maintaining the meat whilst having a more than substantial tenon:

body-mortice.jpg

You can modify the cutout style of course, but it doesn't necessarily mean the construction technique is no longer valid whether it's difficult in practice or not. In addition, having an inner heel face which mates flush with the leading face of the body hides the presence of the tenon. It makes for a very clean-looking join when done well (which is difficult, as my EXP build proved). Plus - CNC or not - this is both design and art:

SolidBody_neck_joint.jpg

....note the small lip at the base of the heel to hide the tenon....

All i'm saying is that they're both fine methods, before anyone parps up some irrelevant pooping on all that. Both have their individual merits in terms of ease of implementation, cosmetics, practicality and to a lesser degree strength (sorry, woodisgood!) unless you are daft enough to have a 1/2" wide tenon, or mess up the fit :D

I've got to say that personally I am a fan of adding heel blocks similar to this out of some misguided sense of tradition, although I dropped mine on the EXP flush with the back of the body to hide any apparent obvious neck/body transitions. I digress.

But it would not work for a les paul shape otherwise you will see all of one side of the heal and loose all that gluing surface. But if your body permits a full neck joint like spokes its definately the way to go.

Ooops. Missed this post. Cheers!