Project Guitar Forum Project Guitar?

While I Love the idea and yes I use donations to help keep the site and forum running, something this big would take a bit of organizing for sure.

Also I think it should be up to the membership where the proceeds would go, even if they were split up.

In the past and present I've sent any overages of donated goods and money to either a charity or charity event that helps put instruments into the hands of kids that cannot afford them on their own.

If you guy's organize a team I'll do what I can in the hardware department since I get it wholesale anyway, Plus I'll do my best to help out the team players if at all possible.

OK, OK.

I've got a mental image of some 15 year old kid in John Cougar Country (y'know, the HEARTLANDS!) in his high school band at Prom-time playing a DOUBLE-NECKED BLACK FLORAL PRINT PROJECT GUITAR AXE!!!!!

Oh God...he'll be in therapy for decades overcoming that experience... :D

Maybe we should just drop it... B) hehehe...

hey its a wikid idea :D...........BUT i dont know if you could pull it off. like as it was said before there would be a few people doing most of the work.

Mabye a time limit or a few weeks or so before it has to be shipped off(finished or not) to the next location could solve that problem.

Good Luck B)

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
a charity or charity event that helps put instruments into the hands of kids that cannot afford them on their own.

I'm in. Also, why not? Then the little dude can come here to see how to put a black floral print on the guitar we donated for him! really. I love charities.

And yes my vote goes forCARRIEBURST!!![/size=14]

Yeah, I guess the 'all natural' approach would be slightly out of character for this forum.

Yeah, a material finish would be cool. That's something I haven't seen much of on other sites.

Speaking as an average joe and relative newcomer who has (probably) not yet developed the level of skills to participate in the construction, a material finish might be a good way to get everyone involved. It would not be difficult to have people nominate a bunch of patterns, whittle it down to a reasonable number, then poll the membership.

Having that established, the same perhaps could be done with:

body shape

body wood type

pickups

wiring options

neck/fretboard wood

headstock shape

tuners

trem/bridge

etc

It would need to have some oversight to assure that the axe doesn't turn into Frankenstein, but it could be a cool way to go. Guitar by committee.

Then a small number of our recognized experts do the actual assembly & finishing, then PG gets the proceeds after selling it on eBay for probably $250 (per neck; do you honestly think it'll go for more than that?).

The sale would probably be good pub for the forum.

id like to participate too...but i am basically a noobie with almost 1 guitar finish(well im painting it now)...any way i can help id be more than happy to...this all sounds like a great idea tho

and if you want a guitar which represents this forum shape shouldnt be hard to figure out...

A TELE!!

haha

I am not far enough along in my learning (grasshopper still has a long way to go) to really contribute as a builder, but logistically speaking I'd be glad to help with the organizing and scheduling of the project. Also I think maybe making it a n ongoing project where the builders and finishers rotate each time would help. And why limit ourselves to auction. If you put it on consignement people will play it for themselves and love it for what it is, not be bogged down by name brand snobbery. Just my take on the subject.

Okay, so how do we go about organizing it? Maybe come up with the design first -

I like erikbojerik's idea of basically a vote for the woods, body/neck/headstock design, hardware electronics, etc. We do need to also figure out who will be doing what and organize getting it shipped to the person.

If we did this would we have one person make the entire neck and one make the entire body, or could we maybe do something like this:

one person joins and thicknesses the body blank, another cuts out the design, another does the cavity routing, another does the contouring, and another does finishing (I think finishing should stay in the hands of one person).

We could do the same with the neck: Someone thicknesses the neck blank and fingerboard, someone else routs truss rod channel, someone else slots fingerboard (or just get a pre-slotted one), somebody glues the finderboard on, somebody else cuts out the neck/headstock profile, another shapes the neck, another does pegholes and nut slot, another frets it, and another finishes it. Then someone else attaches the enck to the body (Bolt-on would be easiest), then somebody does hardware installation.

If we did it this way, lots of people, even amatures/beginners, could have a chance to work on it. What do you guys think?

If we did it this way, lots of people, even amatures/beginners, could have a chance to work on it. What do you guys think?

Yeah, that's the way I see it too. Keep it all in fun and enjoyment, with a dash of seriousness of course.

I say break it up into as many pieces as possible so as many people who want a piece can take part.

I'd take a month just getting everything asked and answered first.

Once the plans are drawn up, everyone who is involved gets a copy of the plan, so we're all on the same page.

So maybe we need a technical writer first?

But it's your Rodeo Lex. Ride 'Em Cowboy! :D

If we did this would we have one person make the entire neck and one make the entire body, or could we maybe do something like this:

one person joins and thicknesses the body blank, another cuts out the design, another does the cavity routing, another does the contouring, and another does finishing (I think finishing should stay in the hands of one person).

We could do the same with the neck: Someone thicknesses the neck blank and fingerboard, someone else routs truss rod channel, someone else slots fingerboard (or just get a pre-slotted one), somebody glues the finderboard on, somebody else cuts out the neck/headstock profile, another shapes the neck, another does pegholes and nut slot, another frets it, and another finishes it. Then someone else attaches the enck to the body (Bolt-on would be easiest), then somebody does hardware installation.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of postage. I dare say that if we just donated what it would cost for each bit of postage, we'd have a lot more money, and no hassles...

• 2 weeks later...