Orbital Sanders

Quarter

I have a Porter Cable random orbit ($50 or $60 I believe) and it's been great. I also have a quarter sheet sander similar to the one linked above (but Black & Decker) and I haven't touched it since I got the random orbit sander. It's easier to use, easier to control, does dust control better, and the disks are Velcro backed so they stay put (a problem with the quarter sheet sander).

I'm about due for a new sander and was wondering if anyone has used this 1/4 sheet Bosch?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

Any real advantage, other than ease of changing paper, to the round disk models?

This is not an orbital sander and will sand much slower than one. This are called pad sanders or vibration sanders and pre-date orbital use by a few years.

Try this one (link below)but make sure it is an 8 hole pad as that is now the standard in sand paper. If you did not get what I said about the pad look at some specs on a better web page than Lowe's as it is not listed.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I've got a DeWalt 5" random orbital sander, been using it at work for 1 1/2 years. Works great, the other guys in the shop use the same ones or Makita's version. The Makitas get noisy after about a month of use though, still work fine. My only complaint is that if you stain and you look closely you can see the little curly sandpaper marks. Not a big deal but I hand sanded my last guitar at the end to get rid of those marks.

Those 1/4 sheet jitterbug sanders are outdated IMHO

Thanks for the feedback all.

Guess I'm a little confused by the descriptions, both the 1/4 sheet Bosch and the linked Hitachi for example claim to have 12000 orbits in the spec.

But only one sander actually orbits. The Bosch will however give you a good massage as well.

I suggest you get off the Lowe's site and look for some definitions of the two tools you are seeing here. RO sanders always have round pads as it moves in a circle. It will never be listed as a 1/4" sheet sander as this uses sheet sand paper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbit_sander

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/SANDERS/sanders.htm

There are many brands out their I only picked a RO that was close to the price of the Bosch sold at Lowe's.

Thanks Spoke

RO sanders always have round pads as it moves in a circle.

From Wiki

Random orbit sanders, also called Dual-Action or D.A. sanders (referring to the rotation of the disk and the head)

The random orbit is produced by simultaneously spinning the sanding disk and moving it in an ellipse

I now see where I was confusing myself. While a 1/4 sheet / pad sander does have an "orbit", it is not dual action / random.

Again thanks to everyone and hopefully this may help other confused souls like myself :D

Thanks Spoke

RO sanders always have round pads as it moves in a circle.

From Wiki

Random orbit sanders, also called Dual-Action or D.A. sanders (referring to the rotation of the disk and the head)

The random orbit is produced by simultaneously spinning the sanding disk and moving it in an ellipse

I now see where I was confusing myself. While a 1/4 sheet / pad sander does have an "orbit", it is not dual action / random.

Again thanks to everyone and hopefully this may help other confused souls like myself :D

Plus its a better sander and the holes in the pad do actually help collect dust. Again 8 holes = standard pattern.

Thanks again Spoke ... any use for a variable speed?

Thinking either the Porter Cable 343 or the Ridgid 2600

I have the PC 343 VSK its a good sander. I usually just keep it cranked to full speed. I am on the edge about the VS function, Possibly the reason for the VS is if you want to use it with some special pads to sand finishes or very tight areas where the speed will dictate if you are riding a bronco or just sanding slower. I see amazon has the PC 343 VSK and non VS on sale.

I have never been a Ridgid tool lover as they used to make tools for sears, now you can only buy them in the big box stores. I think the quality may be better these days but the prices have not been when I have shot a glance in their direction. No competition is the reason.

A Link to some comments from Ridgid owners. http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Ridgid_R26...om_Orbit_Sander