Forest Style Guitar

Along with bass build i have another neckthrough project - ESP Forest Style guitar.

The worst in this build is the finish - the guitar will be black (the customer wants it only black...) but the wood is so nice...

So, it's gonna be 7 string guitar with 12-72 strings.

Specs:

7 string

25.5" scale

24 frets

48mm nut width

Tune-o-matic w/ String-Thru-Body

black hardware

Neck:

wenge/padauk/wenge/padauk/wenge 5 piece neck

madagascar ebony freatboard

2-way truss rod + 2 carbon rods

stainless steel fretwire

Body:

Makore body

Harware, electronics:

Tone Pros TOM bridge

Hipshot grip-lock tuners

2x EMG 707 pickups

Here is the wood....

4.jpg

5.jpg

The freatboard is in the center:

1.jpg

Why the nice multi lam neck, If its going to be painted? Just for strength?

Yes. And also i like padauk+wenge tone - the padauk billet was like a bell so the glued blank has very interesting tone.

And i hope that i can leave the back of the neck transparent - will talk about it with the customer after sealing the guitar, hope he'd like the look of his guitar...

i think its fine to spray it black

you should always be choosing wood primarily for tone and stability anyway so why not do that and spray it the colour you want. i would rather that than have a black guitar built in a substandard way just because it was always going to be black

i feel the pain though, there always comes a point where you want to talk them out of the black

i think its fine to spray it black

you should always be choosing wood primarily for tone and stability anyway so why not do that and spray it the colour you want. i would rather that than have a black guitar built in a substandard way just because it was always going to be black

i feel the pain though, there always comes a point where you want to talk them out of the black

Without going OT, I way resawing some QS bubinga today to make some neck laminates, and it started twisting and moving after being cut! SCARY. If I hadn't cut the wood and used it as-was in a neck, imagine all the tensions released from the wood into a neck as it was being shaped....as it turned out, I salvaged what I needed so it wasn't all bad. It just goes to show that wood being stored in it's uncut form still has plenty of settling and moving to do the closer it gets to it's final shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps my brain has readjusted to longer scales and basses, but how thick is the body? It looks 2", perhaps slightly more...? Really nice progress. Clean and it looks like the planning has borne fruit. Awesome. What tools are you going to use to do the bevelling/contouring?

Prostheta, thanks for your comment!

Really, the body on photo looks thicker then in reality - it's 44mm (1.7").

I use Stanley Spokeshave and two handmade files (don't know if there is english equivalent for these tools names) for beveling/contouring:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/M...Forest/file.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/M...orest/file2.jpg

I thought it was possibly a trick of my eyes....the body will look a lot more slender when contoured, also! How and why did you make your own rasps? I know hand-hammered rasps cut better than machine-made, but the cutting edges look very different to what i've used before. That said, i'm not a rasp expert really :-\

If they do the job, then that's what is important of course :D

Prostheta

Actually, i haven't made these rasps - friend gave them to me and i don't know whose work it is. I use them because they leave less scratches on the wood so i don't have to sand a lot... Of course it's possible to do this job with standard rasp...

Thx Kenny and DrkIncGuitars for your comments.

I think wenge on a guitar is the bomb

Wenge is very nice wood but it's so hard to work with it...

i have had a few of the top rasps in my shed for years and its never really clicked to me as to what they were but hot that i have seen this i shall have to try them also the bottom one looks like a course thread piece of all threat rod with a handle on it

The guitar is looking good.

Yes weird files. The round file I have never seen before the large one looks almost like an autobody file or possibly a horse shoe file used to flatten the hoof prior to installing a new shoe.

Hey as long at it works.

• 2 weeks later...