Forest Style Guitar

That looks very clean, congrats !!!

BTW, a couple of questions:

What are the dotted lines on the sides of the body ??

i have a wenge neck blank that I haven't used yet. Did you find it too hard to carve ??

Thanks!

It's just the line which shows me the center of the body so i can mark carving lines relative to it.

Wenge is hard to carve but the worst is that wenge have tendency to chip away so you have to be carefull.

But anyway i'll use it again because it have very rich look and sound.

Thanks for the reply !!!

Tell me about the sound of a wenge neck... How does it compare to the basic woods like maple, mahogany or rosewood ??

It has wider frequency range then mahogany and rosewood - you'll get good lows and very good mid's.

If you add bright sounding wood you will get "rich tone" as i name this. That's why i'm using padauk and ebony here.

Some people say that if you combine different sounding wood in the neck it won't sound as a cross between those woods.

But have an opposite opinion.

I've tapped the wenge and padauk billets and the glued neck really have mixed tone.

Thanks for the reply !!!

Tell me about the sound of a wenge neck... How does it compare to the basic woods like maple, mahogany or rosewood ??

It has wider frequency range then mahogany and rosewood - you'll get good lows and very good mid's.

If you add bright sounding wood you will get "rich tone" as i name this. That's why i'm using padauk and ebony here.

Some people say that if you combine different sounding wood in the neck it won't sound as a cross between those woods.

But have an opposite opinion.

I've tapped the wenge and padauk billets and the glued neck really have mixed tone.

Thanks again,

I don't know about laminated necks combining the tone characteristics, as all my commercial guitars are one piece necks and I'm yet to finish any of the two laminated necks I have on-going...

But I'm willing to believe so. And I do know for a fact that the wood (tone) of the neck plays a great role in the final tone of the instrument, I'd guess that for a neck through it would be even more dramatic.

Great instrument you have there !! Will follow this thread with a lot of interest.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...