Reverse Vacuum Bag Veneering

So instead of buying a vacuum pump/fiddling with fridge compressors my idea is to use an pressurised outer bag to create the clamping pressure. If you put the guitar in a sealed bag then put that bag inside another surely you can pressurise the outer bag to a much higher pressure than 15 psi (max possible pressure form a vacuum), creating pressure on the guitar similar to a vacuum press?

Has anyone done something similar or can someone point out any really obvious flaw i am missing?

Simon

You are forgetting that the air trapped between the bag and the body will prevent what you are wanting...I think..

Also you will need much stronger bags to keep from exploding.

I will need stronger bags but it think this idea is worth a punt rather than investing in a pump for a one time job. Yeah i might try it out just with one bag and pump it up. Its hard to imagine it applying a force but it theoretically should work.

Simon

To do this properly you will spend a great deal more time and money than you would putting together a vacuum setup.

A straight hydraulic press would even be easier, although it would not give as consistent results as a vacuum system.

Having said that, I'm assuming you're a big boy, able to make his own decisions so, here you go: http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/equip/bladder.shtml

Enjoy

Cheers

Buter

you could borrow you local hospitals decompression chamber.... or

...you could put the guitar in a hoover bag and then just suck out the air using your mouth...

Ahhh....

Anoying facts time...

Your local hospital would not have a decompression chamber, they would have a recompression (hyperbaric) chamber used for treating decompression sickness or performing hyperbaric treatments. The military (NASA included) are the only ones who play with decompression chambers.

Neither one would actually do you any good on its own - however, you can get some insane results by combining a hyperbaric environment with a vacuum press. A vacuum press can only give you atmospheric pressure, roughly 14.7psi, but if you enter a recompression chamber and blow it down to say 99fsw (feet sea water) you are now at 4 atmospheres and can use the same vacuum system to achieve 59psi. Do the math and imagine what you could accomplish.

As for the the hoover bag, mouth sucking idea - I know a couple of girls down at....

Sorry, just the rantings of an ex saturation diver.

I'll go back to making my twanging board now.

Cheers

Buter

Ahhh....

Anoying facts time...

Your local hospital would not have a decompression chamber, they would have a recompression (hyperbaric) chamber used for treating decompression sickness or performing hyperbaric treatments. The military (NASA included) are the only ones who play with decompression chambers.

Neither one would actually do you any good on its own - however, you can get some insane results by combining a hyperbaric environment with a vacuum press. A vacuum press can only give you atmospheric pressure, roughly 14.7psi, but if you enter a recompression chamber and blow it down to say 99fsw (feet sea water) you are now at 4 atmospheres and can use the same vacuum system to achieve 59psi. Do the math and imagine what you could accomplish.

As for the the hoover bag, mouth sucking idea - I know a couple of girls down at....

Sorry, just the rantings of an ex saturation diver.

I'll go back to making my twanging board now.

Cheers

Buter

:D ....turning sapele into diamond?