Shooting Board For Joining A Bookmatched Top

I found this video posted on U Tube.

The first minute shows a shooting board (name not mentioned) to true up the edges of an acoustic guitar back. The same method would work on a drop top. The wood hold down clamp is my favorite thing about the jig. I really does show how easy it is to use a plane to join two thin boards together. I believe he is using a No 7 plane, My personel favorite. Just bought a second one on Flea Bay last week. Corrigated sole. Cant wait to remove the rust. OH joy.

Anyway hope this helps someone. I am not crazy about the tape clamp up method in the video but if it works it works.

That's a different shooting board from what i've seen. The shooting boards I've seen have the plane clamped down on its side and you move the stock across the plane. I should check out the #7s though. There's one I've been looking at for a while, and now that I'm building more than 1 guitar/bass, I think it would come in useful.

That's a different shooting board from what i've seen. The shooting boards I've seen have the plane clamped down on its side and you move the stock across the plane. I should check out the #7s though. There's one I've been looking at for a while, and now that I'm building more than 1 guitar/bass, I think it would come in useful.

If you dont mind some hard work ebay has some nice Stanley Baileys for cheap as long as you dont mind rust removal. I use a battery charger, sodium bicarbonate, water, a plastic container and a metal anode (?) to remove rust. Beats doing it by hand. The only down side is you cant see if the plane may have severe pitting before you buy. You have to either ask a million questions or go on faith. I paid $50 for the plane shipped. If worse comes to worse I do have a welder to fix the pitting. However it looked like it was only slightly rusted.

What I really want is a No 8. OOH

I have never seen a shooting board where the stock is moved over a plane blade? I honestly cant see how that is a better method. Being a big plane user I want the weight and momentum of all that metal moving against the wood. If you want to move the wood a jointer seems like a better bet with thin pieces clamped between sheets of plywood.

The first minute shows a shooting board (name not mentioned) to true up the edges of an acoustic guitar back.

He made the shooting board himself:

http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX?50@121.9S...g.1@.2cb6a106/0

Thanks for posting that link. The tape method was new to me.