Long Radius Blocks Anyone?

Hey guys,

I have been looking. Is there anywhere else besides stew mac that has long radius blocks? (like 20" long) There is no way I'm paying 110$ for a piece of aluminum with a radius in it. Is there anyone that can make me a wood one that long??

Not to defend SM but I know of no other vendor selling aluminum blocks. If you want to do this for a living spend the money as you will always have a consistent bock which will never warp. The extra length will make the job go faster and in the long run save you money. If I could afford a set I would buy them. But I dont build for a living so I suffer with the 8" blocks.

Buy the radius bits from SJE-Guitars then you need only light radius sanding?

The SM price was $126 when I just looked I did not see the $110 price you mention.

Would 16" be long enough for you? THIS place sells 16" long blocks with any radius you want. I have no experience with them as I ended up making my own blocks but the price seems pretty good to me for a CNC machined quartersawn maple block of that length.

OO Thanks! That looks pretty good to me. Do you know where they are located?

Spoke,

See, they are even more than what I thought! I dont really need a aluminum one, just a longer one than 8".

I cant use those radius jigs, because i buy my fretboards pre slotted. My drill presses table doesnt rotate, so i cant use the Safe t planer method to make one. That is why i was asking too, if someone could make me one.

See, they are even more than what I thought! I dont really need a aluminum one, just a longer one than 8".

I cant use those radius jigs, because i buy my fretboards pre slotted. My drill presses table doesnt rotate, so i cant use the Safe t planer method to make one. That is why i was asking too, if someone could make me one.

The longer the wood block gets the chances of it changing dimension increases.

If I had a Molding planer and the proper bits not a problem but I dont. You should contact one of these smaller companies and see if they will make a long one for you. They probably make them 6' long and cut them into blocks.

I don't find a need for long radiusing blocks. I rout in the initial profile using a sled jig as above, clean it up using a short block to 180 grit, cover it in pencil marks and sight across the board with a straight edge to identify high or low spots. I sand out any low spots using a strip of sandpaper attached a straight beam. The longer beams would be more useful for fret levelling, imo. Have you considered radius router bits? I don't approve of the safe-t planer way of making radius beams, as it would create a section of an ellipse, rather than an arc section of a circle. Nice method, but the result is flawed.

In fact, this inspired me to pick up Lightwave this morning....

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=40801&hl=

Edited by Prostheta

That router radii jig makes no sense to me...

Like i said, I buy my fretboards pre slotted, so i cant use the radius bits.

Spoke, I have contacted GPC about those before. The response i got was that There is no need in guitarbuilding for a radius block longer than 7.25 (the size they sell) and it would make no sense to make one. I then asked why Stew mac would sell them, and why a ton of other luthiers use long radius blocks, and I got no response.

The main reason I want a long one is because i have trouble keeping the board level while radiusing. I do use a long leveler in between, but Going thru the higher grits, I still cant keep it perfectly level without spending hours on it spot leveling and whatnot.

Would 16" be long enough for you? THIS place sells 16" long blocks with any radius you want. I have no experience with them as I ended up making my own blocks but the price seems pretty good to me for a CNC machined quartersawn maple block of that length.

Axehandle will make them longer for you. I had him quote 39.00 for 24" blocks. Plenty long. Just email him and ask. He is now making them out of laminated maple and they are nice. He uses a CNC machine to cut them.

Also long blocks can be put in vises. Then you move the neck instead of the block like Benedetto does in his "Making an Archtop" book.

Axehandle will make them longer for you. I had him quote 39.00 for 24" blocks. Plenty long. Just email him and ask. He is now making them out of laminated maple and they are nice. He uses a CNC machine to cut them.

Also long blocks can be put in vises. Then you move the neck instead of the block like Benedetto does in his "Making an Archtop" book.

See the link I said call first. Thanks RestorationAD. Dont let one bozo put you off to continue trying. I would have said then you dont like my money I will find it somwhere else. Too hard to not cut one for you.

I am surprized anyone would waste a good CNC machine cutting these blocks. A Jet molding planer and a few custom radius cutters will make these in no time with little effort. I know Stumac does it this way as I have sent back blocks with knicked blade lines and snipe.