New Body For My Rg

There was another topic for this, but I think this one deserved another one. I'll be turning the original body into a frankencaster when i get the time.

This is my RG250DX

th_P1140032.jpg

Its been my main guitar since 2001, and I've loved it to death. The decisions I'm making for the future of this guitar have been pretty hard on me, because I love it so much, but what's gotta be done needs to be done.

What's happened is the basswood body has given out and the trem posts are leaning. My decision for this body is to replace it with a nice mahogany body with a shape of my choice. I'll be abandoning the OFR for a Tune-O-Matic Strings Through Body. I've already made a few other bodies for this (including an MDF V of my design, and a Corvus) but I'm ready to make a final home for this RG's neck. This body will be my first attempt at quality work with the knowledge i've gained from all the nice people here! So here's what I've got:

Edited by Narcissism

I'm making a Rhoads. For as long as I've been playing guitar, i've wanted a Rhoads! The bottom wing isn't tension bearing, or weight bearing, and its going to be under paint.

th_FILE0253.jpg

Here's the glue shot. This thing required planning to glue together lol. I don't have any of the corner jigs or awesome tables that some of you have, so this is what I've come up with.

th_FILE0255.jpg

At the bottom you can see my awesome block plane (finally figured out how to use the dang thing) and my scraper!

While I was at it I decided to design the next gibson.

th_FILE0254.jpg

What do you think? I call it "The Ass."

hey there. it seems your gluing end grain there. you should've cut the extra piece with the grain going the same direction as the body, not only the joint would be stronger but the end result would be a lot nicer, with an almost invisible joint.

As explained in the 2nd post:

The bottom wing isn't tension bearing, or weight bearing, and its going to be under paint.

Thank you for your concern though! In an effort to save money, build 2 guitars from one piece of wood, and go green (that's the vermont way!) I've opted for the end grain. The glue line is invisible aside from the change in grain pattern. I'm happy about it and you should be too!

At least it doesn't look like "The Ass"

The bigger concern when gluing end grain to long grain like that is that the wood shrinks more in some directions than others, and can pull a joint like that apart. I can't say it will happen here, but I have seen it happen in the past.

All of those are good suggestions! However, I don't have a biscut joiner (Nor do I understand the concept of one) and I have no room for a table saw... I really wish I had one though lol. I did a pretty straight cut using my jigsaw though, which made me pretty happy.

While at work, I found a circular saw edge guide, which could help me with the whole table saw concept.

As of now, the guitar is in the sanding process. I'll update this thread once I start into the routing phase!

Sorry to be a downer no matter what the reasons for making that joint were I would spend the bucks and fix it. Why

Most likely the seam will show after you paint it up, i suspect it will open up quicker rather than later. I dont expect it to fall apart if its a clean joint but It may, that really depends on the wood you are using and how it was cut (quartered or flat sawn). As J Pierce rightly points out the two grains (long and short) will shrink at different speeds and in two different directions not together. No amount of biscuits or tendons will help with the woods natural movement. The joint is doomed to fail or be a painted eye sore. :D sorry.

here is some info http://www.woodworkdetails.com/Knowledge/Wood/Movement.aspx

After reading the materials, you guys are correct in the fact this joint will eventually fail... I SOOOOO want to keep on going though lol. The decision on weather to keep on going, or to listen to logic, reason, and you guys is obvious... I'm going to keep going for now, and if the joint fails by the time I start routing, then I'll cut it off and redo it with a like grained piece.

After reading the materials, you guys are correct in the fact this joint will eventually fail... I SOOOOO want to keep on going though lol. The decision on weather to keep on going, or to listen to logic, reason, and you guys is obvious... I'm going to keep going for now, and if the joint fails by the time I start routing, then I'll cut it off and redo it with a like grained piece.

Even a different species glued up right will work. may not be the perfect choice but its a cheep one ( the vermont way :D ).

• 3 weeks later...

For the past few days, i've just been routing and figuring out how to get the input jack to the control cavity. Thanks to all you fine people (that includes you "wood is good"!)

Here's the result of my routing, and this is my finest routing job yet. You can see the drill marks in the pickup cavities, but I assure you they won't effect the sound quality. You can call them "Power Pits" if you want!

Next to the guitar is the 3 way toggle switch i'll be installing.

th_FILE0276.jpg

I'm also proud of the control cavity as this is the best one I've done. This is a picture of how I make the cover, but you get the idea on the route.

th_FILE0279.jpg

The cover fits perfectly! I'll be spraying the inner side of it the same color of the guitar.

th_FILE0280.jpg

So its coming along! I just have to sand it up and prep it for paint now!