Drak 'prairie Dust'

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I finally am getting some new progress on some guitars.

I broke this one out to work on the other day.

I finally got pickups and stud posts routed/drilled, CYA pore-filled and level sanded, and got a few coats of clear gloss on it.

I think it's been 3 years since I held a spray gun in my hands, it felt great to shoot some coats once again! :D

I started having some weird breathing issues after doing that spring/summer 2009 building, and I couldn't figure out if it had anything to do with wood dust or not.

It went away over a period of several months.

Although I always use a respirator for spraying, I hardly ever use one for routing and sanding, which is pretty stupid considering a lot of times I'm totally covered head to toe with sawdust at the end of a building session, and I was using Spanish Cedar a lot (in this guitar for example) which has some pretty irritating qualities to it.

So I just gave it a nice looong time and it seems to have gone away for the most part, and I use a respirator whenever I'm making sawdust now as well.

So Back to the Crazy Train! :D

Pics coming soon. It's coming out very handsome. :D

Thanks for the nice words Wez! :D

Actually John, let me explain in more detail...

They're all getting pretty close to finishing stage.

I let the earlier ones slow down, and get the newer ones caught up to them,

so they all go into finishing at about the same time, and those will be the 'batch' for the year.

I actually was getting ready to post some updates on 2 of the others,

as I just bleached them this weekend in prep for the dying process coming up very soon.

Thanks for the nice words! (and your dragon inlay rocks as well :D )

And actually, I screwed up the book by about 1/4", but oh well...

If you missed the book, you can't tell it is off becuase of the lines that meet at the bottom. Even the heavy red v at the top meets. I see the one below it that looks off.

I'm in the same boat as you Drak. I always wear a respirator when mixing anything with thinners and spraying but rarely wear it for all the woodworking. I find them annoying and they fog up my safety glasses, but i will take your lead and start to wear one.

Its nice to see some of your work again, put up some pics already :D

I started having some weird breathing issues after doing that spring/summer 2009 building, and I couldn't figure out if it had anything to do with wood dust or not.

It went away over a period of several months.

Although I always use a respirator for spraying, I hardly ever use one for routing and sanding, which is pretty stupid considering a lot of times I'm totally covered head to toe with sawdust at the end of a building session, and I was using Spanish Cedar a lot (in this guitar for example) which has some pretty irritating qualities to it.

So I just gave it a nice looong time and it seems to have gone away for the most part, and I use a respirator whenever I'm making sawdust now as well.

So Back to the Crazy Train! :D

Pics coming soon. It's coming out very handsome. :D

People react differently to different woods. Usually its gets you after prolonged exposure to a specific species over an extended period of time. Your body has time to develop an allergic reaction. But then there are those woods that just get you right off. Ebony dust makes me sneeze and the tanic acid in Oak stains my hands badly. The staining I can live with but the sneezing is something I can do without. Hard to give up ebony so I now have to wear a dust mask when sanding the stuff.

Its a pain to wear a mask for everyday work. I used to have a Cloth dust mask that I used when I was cutting particle board 8 hrs a day. Better safe than sorry with glued lumber. That mask was comfortable for long periods, but it was not 100% dust proof. I think it was the dust be gone mask.

So if you have an allergy to a specific wood then saddle up with a real mask or dont use that wood again. Breathing issues would be top of my list as a wood dust symptom.

I'm in the same boat as you Drak. I always wear a respirator when mixing anything with thinners and spraying but rarely wear it for all the woodworking. I find them annoying and they fog up my safety glasses, but i will take your lead and start to wear one.

Its nice to see some of your work again, put up some pics already :D

If your respirator (half face I presume) is fogging your glasses it doesn't fit right. You should only have air comming out of the center valve.

The last shot from the side I think is the most realistic.

There -is- a touch of pinkish hue to the wood, but not as much as the pics seem to show, digital cameras always over-doing the reddish hues, but in reality it looks more like the side shot, more brown with a -hint- of pinkish hue.

Here's a back shot.

CAMPHORCEDAR036.jpg

Just the old Campbell Hausfeld pint gun with the big tip for heavy spray clear coats.

Cam, I had bought a 12' board of Spanish Cedar that I cut up for Telecaster bodies, as at the time I was heavy into building my pre-amped Texas Steerhead Teles. Most, not all, of which are Alder bodied.

My doublecuts are 3/4" taller than a Tele, so I just added an appropriate piece of Mahogany onto the bottom to make up the difference.

It was the only applicable answer unless I wanted to make 7-8 more Teles, which I'm not in the mood to do at the moment, as I'm really liking the doublecuts now. I'm doing a doublecut 'run' like I did the Steerhead run a few years back.

The pics just don't do it justice for some reason...

I'll have to try and take a few pics under different lighting conditions to really capture the essence of it.

Man, I have no clue where you find all your figured wood! I suppose some creativity on how you can use it comes into play, but jeez that looks good!

Narc seriously.... go to http://oregonwildwood.com and pick your top. If you need flamed maple go to http://www.northridgehardwoods.com

While this is not where Drak gets his stuff it will do for the rest of us poor earthbound souls.

I -used- to get the majority of my wood locally, 8-15 years ago.

That's when times were sweet. Lots of expendable income, and great local sources.

I didn't know how good I had it. :D

There used to be a local place called Wood World that just had it ALL, from top shelf body woods to the best exotics to orgasmic burls, offered full shop services, and was open on Saturdays too.

They've been closed for years now. :D

One day I'm going to post some of the 'early days' period pics, and you'll lose your mind at the wood I used to be able to get locally for cheap, it was ridiculous.

These days, it's both locally and online.

Jeez, there's a ton of beautiful wood out there all over the place, it's pretty easy to source now.

I got this Camphor Burl from Gilmer Woods about 5 years ago or so.

• 4 weeks later...

A few updates on Prairie Dust.

I let it dry for a few weeks after shooting clear coats, then:

Level-sanded it flat

Got the neck caught up with the body

Shot some toner coats to help blend the different woods of the neck (Mahogany) and body (Spanish Cedar)

so they looked 'closer together' than they did with no colorant added, and also to help the body and neck woods

to closer match the color of the top wood.

I like all the overall colors together now, it looks more 'comprehensive' (to me anyway).

Pretty much done and drying now, I really like it, and think it'll look great with a mix of gold and black hardware components. :D

The headstock lam is a piece of Olivewood I used, it was a knot I really liked the shape and appearance of.

I've had a really hard time figuring out how to get realistic pics of my guitars, it's one reason I haven't posted too much lately...I would typically take pics where I shoot them hanging, but it keeps winding up to be a really poor place to take pics, it took me awhile shooting in different places until I found some locations that seem to show them very realistically, so we're good to go now.

These are all shots after the toner coats were added and cleared over.

CAMPHORCEDAR039.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR041.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR043.jpg

• 6 months later...