What Is The Correct Bridge Position For A P-90

I've tried to search for the answer here, but I'm not having any luck. Can someone please tell me the correct location for a P-90 in the bridge position of a Les Paul? I'm going to be routing for pickups soon for my Explorer EC project and have decided to use the new Kinman P-90 Hx pickups in the neck and bridge positions with a Kinman 69 Strat P/U in the middle position, in conjunction with a 5-way Strat switch.

I am looking for the exact distance between the middle (length & width) of a tune-o-matic bridge and the axis line connecting the centers of the pole pieces on a P-90. Any help? Thanks.

Edited by Stolysmaster

i cant remember the distance i use of the top of my head but its worth remembering that gibson put it's p-90's in quite a few different locations over the years so exact distances can vary

with the original LP-jnrs they had them very close to the bridge. this lead to the bridge often cracking the wood between post and pickup - so they moved them a little further away and the problem was solved

I am looking for the exact distance...

Why?

When I said "exact distance" I meant within about 1/16". Because I have found that changing the distance from the bridge pickup to the bridge (at least with HB pickups) makes a noticable difference in tone depending on where it is placed, all other things being equal. I have only experimented with humbuckers in this regard, and this will be my first P-90 style guitar. I know that Gibson has used different distances as noted by someone else's post, but I would like to get close to the sound of a Gold Top or equivalent

P-90 equiped Les Paul (not a Jr.).

I know that Gibson has used different distances as noted by someone else's post, but I would like to get close to the sound of a Gold Top or equivalent

i used the junior as an example because it shows what was influencing gibsons decisions. it certainly wasnt sound!

your best bet would be to look at some photos of a les paul gold top, measure a p-90 and compare the distances in a few photos to the known width of a p-90. at least that is what i would do if i was trying to be exactly like a vintage gold top without having a vintage gold top to measure

I know that Gibson has used different distances as noted by someone else's post, but I would like to get close to the sound of a Gold Top or equivalent

i used the junior as an example because it shows what was influencing gibsons decisions. it certainly wasnt sound!

your best bet would be to look at some photos of a les paul gold top, measure a p-90 and compare the distances in a few photos to the known width of a p-90. at least that is what i would do if i was trying to be exactly like a vintage gold top without having a vintage gold top to measure

Thanks for this suggestion; I have determined distances for things in the past by using good pictures, taken straight on before. I was just hoping someone here might have a P-90 equiped Les Paul of this style to measure quickly.

I asked "why" for a very simple reason.

Just because you get the pickup in the exact same position, it won't sound the same as the guitar you're trying to copy.

So, why sweat the small stuff?

And I gave a simple, and reasonable answer. I am not trying to "copy" a Les Paul w/P-90's guitar. I believe I used the term "close to". If I was trying to "copy" that guitar, that is what I would be building. However, with the Mahogany back, Maple top, and mahogany neck w/rosewood fingerboard, TOM bridge, aluminum stop tailpiece, P-90 PUPS, and 24.75" scale, etc., the odds are that it will sound somewhat close to a Les Paul with P-90's when I am done. Probably more so than it will like a Strat, SG, Flying V or Firebird or 335. I did not set out to "copy" that particular style of Les Paul or sound though. I am just trying to get the bridge pickup position close to that type of Les Paul, because the guitar is being designed to sound "more like" a Les Paul w/P-90's rather than say, a junior or SG with P-90's. I think that Gibson got the P-90 bridge pickup position pretty much "right" with the P-90 Les Paul. Thats all. I am fully aware of all of the components that make up and contribute to the overall sound of a guitar. And, my 40+ years of playing experience and experimenting tells me that bridge pickup placement can certainly amount to more than "small stuff".

Edited by Stolysmaster

About 1-5/8" on my LP junior.

Thanks for that info Keegan. I'm just wondering if that differs from the measurement on a full size (you know what I mean), carved top Les Paul w/P90's?

Newer stock Double-cut gold-top with P-90s, bridge is at an angle, maybe 3 degrees?

Center of treble side of bridge to center of P-90 pole is 1 5/8 ".

Center of bass side of bridge to center of P-90 pole is 1 78".

Hope this helps, please post pics when it's done.

Terry

Newer stock Double-cut gold-top with P-90s, bridge is at an angle, maybe 3 degrees?

Center of treble side of bridge to center of P-90 pole is 1 5/8 ".

Center of bass side of bridge to center of P-90 pole is 1 78".

Hope this helps, please post pics when it's done.

Terry

Wow, Terry. You're the man! That's just the anwer I was looking for, Thanks so much. I'm guessing that by "center of treble side of bridge", you mean the center of the travel screw of the high E saddle, right? That would be a straight line to the pole piece.

When it's done I'll certainly post pics. I have not decided on the finish color yet. The 1/4" thick flat top is a pretty flamey curly maple. I am thinking about a wine red top, natural faux binding, and natural back and neck. My other choice is dark brown stain on the top, then sand back and re-stain the top in yellow/gold. Also, don't know whether to go with cream or black pickups. I'm open to suggestions.

I will now try to post some pics of the body and neck so far on the "In progress" section of the forum.

Edited by Stolysmaster