New Rhoads Build

I haven't posted on here in a long time. 2-3 years. I gave up building in lou of some other hobbies I picked, but a part of me always missed building, so im back. The build wont acutally start for a few more weeks as i am still panning everything out. Here is what i have thus far.

Jackson Randy Rhodes V

Neck-Through Construction

Flamed Maple Neck w/ Reverse headstock

Flamed Maple Top

Mohogany or Alder Wings (can't make up my mind)

Flamed Maple Bound Ebony Fretboard

Bat Inlays

Chrome Hardware

Emg's or maybe Duncan Blackouts

I will going down to pick up my wood in a couple of weeks. What i have been trying to find is neck through builds and the search isnt working very well for me. I more i am thinking about what i want to do the more i am confussing myself about how to build it.

How do you guys do exotic topped guitars to where the neck doesnt show through on the front and only on the back? Cause if you glue the sides on the neck then when u glue the top on it will all sit higher then neck if that makes since at all. I can't seem to figure this out. Any and all help is appreciated

I will going down to pick up my wood in a couple of weeks. What i have been trying to find is neck through builds and the search isnt working very well for me. I more i am thinking about what i want to do the more i am confussing myself about how to build it.

How do you guys do exotic topped guitars to where the neck doesnt show through on the front and only on the back? Cause if you glue the sides on the neck then when u glue the top on it will all sit higher then neck if that makes since at all. I can't seem to figure this out. Any and all help is appreciated

There is absolutely no problem here - just add the top thickness in this place (here). In other words you have to make the "body part" of the neck thinner (and don't forget about the angle between fingerboad surface and body surface, it differs depending on bridge type).

There is absolutely no problem here - just add the top thickness in this place (here). In other words you have to make the "body part" of the neck thinner (and don't forgert abouth the angle between fingerboadr surface and body surface, it differs depending on bridge type).

that is what i figured i had to do, just need to keep searching so i can find some pics of how others did it.

There is absolutely no problem here - just add the top thickness in this place (here). In other words you have to make the "body part" of the neck thinner (and don't forgert abouth the angle between fingerboadr surface and body surface, it differs depending on bridge type).

that is what i figured i had to do, just need to keep searching so i can find some pics of how others did it.

Here are a couple of pics of the inlays

004.jpg

010.jpg

I would guess those are the batman inlays others mentioned.

If you like em- go for it. I personally dont care for them.

BTW.... if you're going to build one... maybe someone should mention its RHOADS

i think they look cool, but i've never seen them inlayed before so we'll see :D

well as i start to put this build together more im starting to think the bats arent going to fit not with the way im going, they will just stand out. Im looking for inlay set possiblities.

I wanted some V's like this .

2900506870_md.png

I didnt really realize till i looked it up how close those bats were to the batman icon, didnt really mean to go that way at all.

i think they look cool, but i've never seen them inlayed before so we'll see :D

well as i start to put this build together more im starting to think the bats arent going to fit not with the way im going, they will just stand out. Im looking for inlay set possiblities.

I wanted some V's like this .

2900506870_md.png

I didnt really realize till i looked it up how close those bats were to the batman icon, didnt really mean to go that way at all.

I was able to find the inlays i wanted, so will be buying those. And i wil be going down to get my wood on the 2nd of july. Now just have to go to the guitar store and get measuments off the rhoads model, and wait for my templates to show up.

I was looking for those Vee's for an inlay not too long back and couldn't find them. Where did you score those from?

a guy on ebay has them his name is aiguitars i believe, he is the one on there that sales the ibanez pryamids and jem vine inlays. He has lots of different inlays he can do that arent listed such as prs birds and those v's, you just have to contact him and ask.

does anybody have rhoads measurements? i dont think my templates will be here in time for when i go get my wood. also how long are your neck through blanks when you start? I wanted to do a one piece through flamed maple neck but am having a hard time finding a blank long enough.... Also am thinking possible a 5 piece maple/walnut neck.

i don't know about the body, but the length of a neck thru blank should be atleast 40" (well thats the length of the neck thru blanks on luthier supplies aus)

the more im thinking about the build the more it is changing in my mind, i am now thinking of doing a set flamed maple neck instead of a through neck. The body would change to a full alder body with flamed maple front and back.

i don't know about the body, but the length of a neck thru blank should be atleast 40" (well thats the length of the neck thru blanks on luthier supplies aus)

the more im thinking about the build the more it is changing in my mind, i am now thinking of doing a set flamed maple neck instead of a through neck. The body would change to a full alder body with flamed maple front and back.

does anyone have dimensions on the higher end neck through randy rhoads guitars? I have templates coming so i have the body shape just need to know body thinckness and neck thickness at the 1st, 12th, and last fret before it connects to the body.

All help is greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

I was half expecting an electric piano from way back in the day with the title. Oh well, at least the guitar looks pretty awesome. I've played a rhoads once, though I am not a fan of pointy guitars. Then again, I am nowhere near a shredder, so it's not a mandatory part of the motif.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Progress?

i dont have any pictures but yes a little progress has been made. Starting the binding channels which should get finished up tomorrow on the new style. I am still deciding if im going to put binding on the older style. Like ive said a few times before prgress on these will be slow, i am working with a friend of mine who is a perfessional luither. He makes mainly acoustics but also does electrics here and there. I kinda have to work on his watch when its good from him so i only work on these a fews hours a week. I am fine with this because i am learning a lot.