Why Is There No 2 Volume No Tone Diagrams?

wood is good

Ok, I have searched for about a year now. I have NEVER found the diagram i want. I wan one like this http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2101

Where the wires from the pickups go to the switch. I want 1 volume for each pickup (just 2 HBS) and NO tone. DOES THIS NOT EXIST??? I just cannot figure it out or find a diagram. Please help me, I have a guitar in for service, and thats what the guy wants BUT I CANT FIND IT! Please help. thanks.

The reason is because this is such common knowledge that it is too basic to print (even on the web). Don't take this the wrong way but shouldn't you know this already if you are taking service orders? Believe me this will take you much less than a year to figure out if you apply a fraction of the energy you spent waiting for someone to do this for you.

Here's a link that just might help you out.

The reason is because this is such common knowledge that it is too basic to print (even on the web). Don't take this the wrong way but shouldn't you know this already if you are taking service orders? Believe me this will take you much less than a year to figure out if you apply a fraction of the energy you spent waiting for someone to do this for you.

Here's a link that just might help you out.

I do know how they work... And that wasnt helpful at all. I went up to page 22 on google with the terms "2 volume no tone diagrams" and found nothing. Like i said, I want it the way i showed in the diagram.

And yes i know, about the tone on 10. But that doesnt help, because he specificly wants 2 volume with no tone. If i could have, i would have done it that way in the first place.

DOUG!! YOU FOUND IT!! THANK you so much.

And that wasnt helpful at all. I went up to page 22 on google with the terms "2 volume no tone diagrams" and found nothing.

Actually it was if you used the search sting I included ("how do volume and tone controls work") and actually read the first link on the page and then tried to understand it instead of looking for that same diagram that you couldn't find after a whole year. What I was hoping for is that you would have put just a little effort into this because as you say:

I want it the way i showed in the diagram.

and you could have had that. You were already so close. All you needed to to do is understand just a little and you would have discovered that you need to clip that one wire that connects the tone control to the signal wire at the output jack and you would have been there. All on your own.

Sorry, dude, I respected you too much to assume that you couldn't think this one out for yourself. I hope that for your client's sake at least that you wrap your mind around these rudimentary concepts. You should. It would obviously do you a world of good. It truly would. And with a little effort you could, wood is good.

Whatever man. Just because i cant figure out how to convert a diagram, doesnt mean i dotn know what im doing. I couldnt figure out how to eliminate the tone control from that diagram, because There was nowhere else to put the wire from the jack.

I dont appreciate your lecture. I have been doing this a long time. Just because I am not an guitar electrical genius, doesnt mean I cant do a quality wiring job.

Thanks Geo.

I had that diagram bookmarked a LONG time ago. I went back to it, and forgot why i thought i could just take the tone off. I looked at it, and for some reason, thought the middle lug of the switch had to go to the tone first. I now remember why I saved the diagram, because you indeed can just remove it. Thanks for reminding me.

If a guy needs a wiring diagram explained, just explain it rather than acting like a tool.

I could ask the same of you Geo. All you have done is shown how to do something, you did not explain why. He is still no better prepared for the next electronics hurdle that he may have to cross. It would be a much better service to him if he was prepared with knowledge so that he is not dependent upon fellow forumites whenever he has to do a simple modification.

If you dislike my approach I am sorry Geo, but I also dislike yours since it leaves out the very reasoning that is so necessary for understanding. You do not teach a child how to read a clock by telling him the time. You teach him what everything means so that they are not reliant upon remembering the patterns (or diagrams) that they have seen before and can then move beyond that by being able to read a clock at any time with full understanding of why it is so.

Whatever man. Just because i cant figure out how to convert a diagram, doesnt mean i dotn know what im doing. ... Just because I am not an guitar electrical genius, doesnt mean I cant do a quality wiring job.

I agree completely and this was why I never said you couldn't. There is no need for defensiveness, these are not genius level concepts and you are fully capable of fully comprehending them. It is not difficult and certainly I am no genius either. Perhaps I can offer you some insight into why I took the approach I did and what I was hoping you would reach for.

What you need to know, wood is good, is this:

1. A potentiometer is a variable resistor or more precisely a voltage divider

• Center lug being the input and the outer lugs being the output

2. A volume control divides the pickup signal between the output between:
    • the output signal path (full volume-clockwise position)
    • the ground (no volume-counterclockwise position)

3. A tone control is a high pass filter utilizing the following:

• a potentiometer
      • a capacitor

4. A tone control divides the output signal (from the volume or switch output) between:

[*]the capacitor (or filter)

[*]nothing

For guitar wiring a volume control is almost always necessary as it controls how much of the pickup signal gets sent to the amplifier. A tone control is not necessary as it only filters, or modifies, the original signal from the pickups by passing the highs to the ground. It does this by dividing determining how much of the signal path is sent through the filtering affects of the capacitor which send the highs to the ground (in a typical guitar circuit).

So you can think of a volume as a valve and a tone as a filter. A valve lets the water out and a filter controls it's spray pattern. Pretty loose analogy, I know. But the point is you can have a wide open valve without a variable spray pattern and thus you can remove it without losing output.

To illustrate, as you have seen from your original diagram, the output from the middle of the switch goes to the output jack post-volume output signal in this case). There is also a wire connecting it to the tone control. This affects the tone of the signal (or how much of the highs remain). Now you can have the tone control on full and that is just like (but not quite) having no tone control at all since in that position none of the signal is sent through the capacitor. In this sense it is in unnecessary and can thus be removed.

If you want a more mathematical approach to this information click here: Understanding Volume and Tone Controls

Geo has shown you what to do so this is not necessary for you to digest in order for you to do the work on your client's guitar. It is necessary if you are to proceed without the crutch that Geo represents for you. Take this how you will but it is given with the deepest of respect for you and your abilities.

Edited by GhostInTheMachine

If a guy needs a wiring diagram explained, just explain it rather than acting like a tool.

I could ask the same of you Geo. All you have done is shown how to do something, you did not explain why. He is still no better prepared for the next electronics hurdle that he may have to cross. It would be a much better service to him if he was prepared with knowledge so that he is not dependent upon fellow forumites whenever he has to do a simple modification.

If you dislike my approach I am sorry Geo, but I also dislike yours since it leaves out the very reasoning that is so necessary for understanding. You do not teach a child how to read a clock by telling him the time. You teach him what everything means so that they are not reliant upon remembering the patterns (or diagrams) that they have seen before and can then move beyond that by being able to read a clock at any time with full understanding of why it is so.

All I need point out is this from your previous post...

You were already so close. All you needed to to do is understand just a little and you would have discovered that you need to clip that one wire that connects the tone control to the signal wire at the output jack and you would have been there. All on your own.

Sorry, dude, I respected you too much to assume that you couldn't think this one out for yourself.

... in which you have no interest in teaching him how to fish.

I am not going to fight with you. He got his question answered. He has some links to read if he wants. I didn't explain the diagram because it's obvious. The signal goes to the jack and tone pot in parallel.