Worth Filling Squier Cavity?

Hi. I picked up a Fender Squier for a price I couldn't refuse. I presume that massive control/pick up cavity in the Squier is a significant structural difference with a "real" Strat.

My question is, do you think it would be worth doing a glue-in with a block of left over Ash to fill in a lot of that cavity? Would I gain much sustain or tonal quality, do you think?

Well, if you don't count inferior wood, shoddy workmanship, and low-quality hardware "structural differences" :D

I have seen people fill in the swimming pool with wood, but I doubt tonal quality or sustain are going to improve that much from a tiny block of "good" wood. Else, that Yamaha space guitar would have taken off like wildfire.

If anything, the benefits would be less bleeding between pickups/microphonics/that sort of stuff, because there are three (or two) pickups occupying the same swimming pool. In that case, you could save your good wood and just stuff it with foam or something.

Well, if you don't count inferior wood, shoddy workmanship, and low-quality hardware "structural differences" :D

I have seen people fill in the swimming pool with wood, but I doubt tonal quality or sustain are going to improve that much from a tiny block of "good" wood.

lol, I was meaning only the wood parts. B) There are several deficiencies, right down to 8 screws vs. 11 holding the pickguard. (Although I don't really find anything wrong with the tuners per se. Maybe it's special, being 20th anniversary?) Anyway, it's too bad they made such seemingly-to-me small cost cuttings that so significantly affected the guitar. I mean, just that "swimming pool" alone. Sheesh. It's extremely playable with great action; I have this one 3/16 at the 12th and no buzz anywhere. Too bad all the knobs are in the way! :D

Well, thanks, at least I won't waste my time on that.

Edited by Razbo

There are slight tonal differences, which if you really want to get overly nuts about it would be a reason to add the wooden blocks. They are not going to do anything to help add sustain though. The sustain comes from the neck, a good neck joint, and a good bridge, basically everywhere the vibrations enter the body.

Plus I am still not sure where this sustain craze has come from. I can understand some cheap guitars sustain like mud. But there are people that want to add sustain to high end guitars, how long do they really need to hold that note. The one that confuses me even more is the guys who is see playing death metal wanting more sustain. They are mostly palm muting anyway.