String Spacing Question

I just had a nut installed on my guitar and the tech told me the string spacing was too wide for my neck.

The string spacing is 2 7/32 and the nut is 1 11/16.

All strings are fine except for the high E which runs at a slight angle from nut to bridge leaving the string very close to the edge of the fretboard at the higher frets.

Please help me solve this problem.

Maybe there's a terminology problem here confusing me. Did you have a new nut or new bridge installed?

If it was the bridge, then the easiest solution is to install a bridge with the correct string spacing. Otherwise you might consider a new neck with a wider taper.

I just had a nut installed on my guitar and the tech told me the string spacing was too wide for my neck.

All strings are fine except for the high E which runs at a slight angle from nut to bridge leaving the string very close to the edge of the fretboard at the higher frets.

Sounds like:

1) He doesn't know what he's talking about

and

2) he's done a crappy job on the nut and you need another new nut albeit a properly cut one!

1 11/16th (42.9mm to us metric folk) and 2 7/32 (56.4mm) is the standard 'wide' Strat string spacing. If it was fine before he did the nut it pretty obvious he's screwed it up!

Obviously IF you've change the neck or made the neck yourself and not made the neck to the correct dimensions then this IS the problem . . . but the fact you've taken it to a tech to have a nut installed says the above it most likely correct!

:D

The neck and body were premade from USACG. The neck pocket is very tight so Im pretty sure there isnt an alignment issue.

The 6-2 strings run straight but the high E runs at a slight angle down the fretboard until it is very close to the edge of the frets at the highest frets.

Would the nut be the problem?

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

Edited by Schappy

do those saddles have string grooves - hard to see. If not you can fix it by adding string grooves to alter the spacing at the bridge slightly. It would have been fine if a little more care had been taken with mounting the neck - just because its a tight fit it doesnt mean its in line!!!

also - if thats his work on the nut then go and get your money back or get him to finish the job. thats not what is causeing issues at the other end of the neck but it is distinctly unfinished!

Do you see anything from the photos that would suggest the neck was mounted improperly?

The alignment is off! - its not just a case of screwing the neck in - you need to make sure the alignment is correct before doing it. this sometimes involves slightly modifying the neck pocket, heel or bridge position to make sure they all work before putting it together

you dont have a major issue here so i would solve it at the bridge end by playing with the saddles

The low E and the high E are supposed to be about 1/8 from the edge of the fretboard to keep them from falling off.

With a ruler you can figure out

1 how far apart are the strings from one another

2 how far from the edge are both e strings

3 Are the strings evenly spaced at both the nut and the saddle.

The only way to fix the problem is first visualize it. Looks like you will need to notch the bridge saddles to bring the strings back in-line with the neck.

As WezV said that nut is only half done. If he was a real tech he would have also fixed the string alignment problem. You got ripped off.

My suggestion is find a real repair person.

First thing I would do is loosen the neck screws just a hair and then pull the headstock towards the bass side. Even in the tightest fitting pockets, there is still a little wiggle room. This is what Wez was talking about. You want the screws just loose enough to allow the side to side movement. Pull the neck so the stings are evenly spaced on noth edges of the fretboad and then retighten the screws. You notice that the dots are not center between strings 3 and 4 either.

Get everything lined up better first and then see where you're at. If you move the neck and get the edge spacings even and the dots are centered properly, then you're fine. Just get the nut work finished. If the dots are off centered worse, or in a different direction, then adjust to center everything up properly and then re-evaluate.