Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Crap crap crap... the bocote and the ziricote are pulling themselves apart in the dry heat. Crap.

Not sure what I am going to do about this one.... I put a humidifier in the room but the headstock plate has already pulled apart on the bookmatch joint enough you can see it. The ziricote top cracks have spread. The top had a few cracks anyway but I stabilized them with CA. Now they have spread.

I guess I will fill the splits and cracks with thick CA and move on...

Crap. This sucks...at this moment I hate gas heat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the top has pulled apart right between the pickup and bridge route... It is ia common thing since there is so little wood there. The top has developed cracks in several spots now.

Got the humidifier working so we will see if this helps. Not sure about the long term stability now. I guess it is the evil trying to get out....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read minimally... but this doesn't sound like things that SHOULD be happening from the little I've read. Are you sure the wood was properly dried first? And are you sure you joints were good and your glue wasn't past it's prime? Titebond's only REALLY good for 1 year, some allow 2 (like the bottle says if I remember correctly).

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
I just read minimally... but this doesn't sound like things that SHOULD be happening from the little I've read. Are you sure the wood was properly dried first? And are you sure you joints were good and your glue wasn't past it's prime? Titebond's only REALLY good for 1 year, some allow 2 (like the bottle says if I remember correctly).

Chris

Joints were good ... I buy new titebond for every project. However I decided to try epoxy on the headplate and the top seam. I used Z-poxy never had an issue with it before. I used titebond to glue the top and headplate to the guitar itself.

I think we have to assume that the wood wasn't dry enough. But I will say this the Ziricote and the Bocote were very strange pieces and the crazy grain did not help the issue. I though that gluing them to stable wood would keep them from moving but I was wrong.

Hard to photograph the cracks they don't show up. Here is the headplate split. It looks fine but you could put a piece of paper in it... The other is the bridge crack. It actually separated on the grain not the glue line.

PC110492.jpg

PC110494.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Sanding all the finish off... The sanding sealer went milky and needs to come off. Of course it is under 3 coats of lacquer. I guess this thing really is evil.

P4150095.jpg

P4150093.jpg

This thing really doesn't want to be finished. Maybe I need to sacrifice a spray gun or something...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Ordered a new can of EM6000 and am getting much better results this time. Should be done next week. It needs a sanding and 2 more coats as the seem in the back decided to show through at the last minute. This thing is possesed...

The EM6000 goes on milky white then as it dries it clears up nicely. The first batch must have frozen in shipping because the milky white would not disapear as it dried.

P6170676.jpg

The new stuff looks pretty good and is going on flat.

P6170677.jpg

P6170674.jpg

This is a crazy shot of the top from underneath.

P6170678.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...