Cracked Mirror Finish?

kpnutz52

Hey all,

well i was looking at a tutorial ( a not so helpful one ) of doing a cracked mirror finish on a guitar ( the iceman ones etc ) but as i said it didnt really explain allot to me..... i was just wondering how this is actually done? is it as simple as breaking a mirror and sticking on the guitar?? :D i also think this would look cool on a les paul custom :DB)

i think i read somewhere that the guitar tech for paul stanley cut pieces of mirror, then glued them on in a pattern to make it look like it was smashed in the middle with a hammer.

i think it would be easier with mirror acrylic, maybe easier to cut also.

oh yeah and he used clear epoxy to clear coat the top. and to make it uniform.

i though of doing a mosaic guitar, but then i tough it would be too heavy, maybe not with pieces of acrylic. :D

maybe make an acrylic topped guitar. but hammer it so that it "breaks" do it while the plastic is still on the acrylic so it all stays together. then i'd recomend boiling the acrylic in stuff called like LYE or something like that. It's a dye for plastics. just boil it in the pot and keep checking it every few minutes until you get desired color. hopefully the pieces still stay together. or maybe just crack it after boiling. lol. then if you wanted to you could sandblast it for a really cool look and inlay the acrylic and keep the remaining wood borders as a really cool like "natural binding" hell you could even put space in between the acrylic and paint the space like black or something. so it would REALLY look like a cracked mirror. IMHO.

• 18 years later...

I have been building the purple cracked mirror iceman. I found some beautiful purple acrylic on Etsy. I chose to cut the acrylic with a scroll saw in a pattern as close as I could get to the real pattern. I drew the pieces and numbered them on the guitar top. Which is a carved top. That's as far as I am at the moment. That's just my way. I hope it is working.