oh....my....god....8...string....

dude, not to knock you, but you have no idea about string tension. if stiffer strings were not condusive to fas playing, how did SRV play any of the fast stuff he played, and don't say he couldn't or didn't play fast, because he did. string tension is determined by the gauge of the string also, not necassarily the tuning. so i compansate by a smaller low E.

the other reason i put a .050 up top is becuase i like a looser trem. most 7 strings use a .056 on bottom, but because i use a higher, not lower string it affects the trem movement. so instead of a top heavy standard tuning, i let a little give in the bottom to utilize the trem more.

why do you think a high A string would be for high fast solo's only. i like the versitility i get with the altered tuning. i can play more of a separated pitch melody and get different harmonies with the other guitar player in the band.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you think i want to build an 8 string if i only thought it was for high fast playing. i didn't mean to diss you. I would love an extra string on both sides. I play jazz a lot and i would love to play easier with the piano. The piano easily gets up there where as its much more difficult with a guitar. you said that you on your 7 string tuning a .9 gauge e string to an A would make it stiff. would it not? and tuning lets say .12 gauge B string to an e would not make it tight and stiff? i might be wrong but it just doesnt make sense to me. i did not mean to crash you at all speedy you help me a lot. and thank you for everything

in theory what you say makes sence. how ever, it may have a higher tension, but with the lighter bass string, it compansates with a floating trem. you may be correct on a stop tail, i wish i had one to make a comparison. i don't think it would hinder playing too much though. i might be used to it.

i don't want you to think i'm slamming you, i'm not. i'm just not too eloquint in my writing. my bad. :D

floating bridges can be any trem bridge, not just a floyd, but does include a floyd, i also found it easier to set up my C tuning on a floyd guitar, that's kinda odd, i'll be moving that tunning over to a hardtail soon though so it'll be interesting to see how that goes, i guess i just haven't figured out the laymen's physics behind it yet..

my 7 string rg, is tuned to high a. i like it better than low b. i have no problems with string breakage, because it's a .009. i just use a standard set of 9-42's, then i buy a single .050. some times a .048.

meshugga plays 8 strings, tuned low b to high a.

wrong, they use another low string. F# to E that is.

then they tune down one half step as well, so its F to Eb really.

listen to their last cd Nothing. that's the only one of their cds with 8 str. hence, many of the songs are i F.

merry christmas and happy new year!! :D

on the string tension thing.... i think the floyd may be slacker feeling because when you bend the string the trem moves as well, the TOM bridge wont budge. btw Vai did try a 7 string with high A, but claimed it broke too often so used the low B. i had a design for an 8 string i drew on CAD, but i think ill stick to 6 strings atm! i wouldnt mind a 7 or 8 stringer sometime!

ROFL!! :D german??

that's swedish dude!

anyways, they're well known here and from what ive heard, they sound very good.

ROFL!! :D german??

that's swedish dude!

anyways, they're well known here and from what ive heard, they sound very good.

mind translating some of the descriptions? i couldn't find an online swedish->english translator that worked anywhere

I dont know if anyone posted this, but the band Meshuggah uses 8 string guitars, and low tuned 7 strings. when they are playing it sounds like when u take a regular 6 string put 9's on it, and tune it to low-g tuning LOL. It amuses me how you have to downtune your guitar that much to make it "death metal". I mean come on. I play in E tuning, so, its all in your skill level B). Heh... I sound like such a jackass lol. Oh well. - Scott :D