My birthday's coming up...

Lex Luthier

...in less then a month. I'm thinking about getting THIS as a present to myself. The price is $778CDN, which ain't bad, but I can buy tools from House Of Tools through my work and get good deals on them. I don't know what kind of a discount I would get, I was told at least 10%, but I'll also withdraw my holiday pay to help pay for it.

Looks nice but what would you use it for on a regular basis?

Trueing edges of body halves, trueing fingerboard gluing surfaces of neck blanks, radiusing fingerboards, headstock thicknessing, neckshaping, roughing out arch-tops (if I ever do another one).

i duno about the arch top thing... that'd be most usefull for putting the taper on necks, and sanding body shapes, as for trueing, i'd say a jointer would be better suited to that :D

I have a Crouch 8 x 132 edge sander, not a cheap machine....@ $3500!

Crouch 245

Be careful of using edge sanders to true-up surfaces. The extra long length of the sanding belt leaves it more vulnerable to humidity changes, causing the belt to cup (to a certain degree). This can leave you with a surface that is not perfectly flat like a jointed surface, but rather a surface that can tend to fade at the leading edge of your surface. Keeping the belt flat on the platen can be difficult because it rides on a graphite backing that tends to get a lot of leading edge wear. They are great machines to have, but do have a specific purpose. There are some tasks that us guitar makers can take advantage of .....tapering necks and smoothing the outside edges of roughed-out bodies......I don't know that I'd trust it to leave a perfectly flat surface though. It can give you a glass-like surface with 180 grit belts and remove a lot of stock quickly with an 80 grit belt. Right now I'm looking at an oscillating spindle sander to do my bodies. I believe that I am better served with an 8 inch jointer and the spindle sander for most applications.

....Just my 2 cents

Cheers!

Greg

I think I'd rather find someone build me a duplicarver for that much money. But that would come in handy for some jobs.

lol you really got your heart set on one of those don't ya! B):D

i just got my christmas bonus at work and i can spare a little ovr $1000 for tools....oh,what to get?

spindle sander and milling machine i think.and an old beat up travel trailer to move my woodshop into :D

happy,happy day.

on a side note i think it is really great when a small companyshares their profits in such a large way.they must have given away about $30,000 between all the employees...and it wasn't even a good year.

I think I'd rather find someone build me a duplicarver for that much money.  But that would come in handy for some jobs.

lol you really got your heart set on one of those don't ya! B):D

You bet KrazyD, we got some great plans and are buying everything right now. Gonna start after the holidays building this thing. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I should be back on Yahoo more since work has slowed down, thank god. lol.. Heck even PRS had a duplicarver in his early stages, before he got enough to buy a CNC machine. Check it out even old bash em Ed Roman has one.. lol

Ed's secret

Oops lets see what can a duplicarver do for you.

1. Totally cut out a neck, back shaped and all.

2. Completely cut out a body while also doing the neck pocket, pickup cavities, electronic panel cavity, tremelo route, and the ever so fun top carving.

Hum, and why would I want that more than a big belt sander?

Looks pretty obvious to me..

:D

haha that's funny...he bashes cnc but he has his own duplicarver :D

Very true, but his theory is. The duplicarver is still a hand moved tool, thus still called Handmade. The CNC runs off a program and you don't have to touch anything. Now I don't know if I agree with this or not, but it's just his opinion on the matter. I just say he doesn't know how to run a CNC machine.. lol

haha that's funny...he bashes cnc but he has his own duplicarver :D

Very true, but his theory is. The duplicarver is still a hand moved tool, thus still called Handmade. The CNC runs off a program and you don't have to touch anything. Now I don't know if I agree with this or not, but it's just his opinion on the matter. I just say he doesn't know how to run a CNC machine.. lol

well you program it with your hands...

i swear that when i first started visiting his site (like 2 years ago)he was also bashing duplicarvers.but whatever...good to see him move a little bit into the future.

personally i feel that what you use to carve the body is meaningless.as long as you handpick the wood and fit everything well.

Yeah you may be right about Ed changing his mind about duplicarvers. I don't seem to remember him talking about them before either. Maybe Ed is tired of using a grinder to carve his guitar tops.. lol Or maybe he just never mentioned it before thinking no one would know he uses something to help him make a guitar faster. But one thing is still certain he still thinks CNC's are evil.. lol

What is Handmade?

• 2 weeks later...