Homemade Cnc Thread

Vinny

So, upgraded my router to a PC 690, from the PC 310 Lam trimmer. :D Should help a lot with power. also ordered the Precise Bits collets for it.

690upgrade.jpg

I also finished the CNC conversion of the Shoptask Eldorado Bridge Mill for a friend.

eldoconversion.jpg

Just wanted to give a short update. :D

Time to make the chips fly again.

MK

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are making some impressive machines.

After reading this thread late last night, I was so excited I could hardly sleep.

Among other things, I was the CNC guy at Warrior for a while (Still do some programming for them). We got a 24" x 48" three axis machine built by Ron Thorn. During the 2001 winter NAMM I got to spend a day in Ron's shop getting trained. What a brilliant man! It's a cool little machine too. I'll see if I can dig up a picture. There are a few hilarious CNC-Gone-Wild stories too.

Anyway, when I left Warrior and set up my own shop, I designed a machine similar to theirs. Still haven't built it though. It's going to cost around $3000 unless I employ some cost cutting measures such as you have done.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Careful - you'll end up with a flood of requests begging for you to do this for them, generally for next to nothing and for no recompense on time ;-)

Trust me if they want some, They will have to pay. These are custom for his headstock design and he supplied the dxf files. :D

MK

Thanks Prostheta and Mikro. Haven't find my old photos yet. I'll come back with a story though.

Mikro, those are some nice headstock templates. One of my favorite uses for CNC is to make templates. We have a local guy whose business is large productions runs of big stuff. He does our little one-off guitar templates for about $10 a piece, usually in 1/2" phenolic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I didn't know there was so many of you guys doing the CNC thing.

Mine is an MDF unit that uses skate bearings and aluminum right angle for the linear bearings. I'm using 269oz-in steppers and they seem to work well with the aluminium and delrin I've been machining. The bed is 600 x 900mm and has about 150mm of Z travel.

At the moment the machine is in pieces as i have moved house but will be back up and running in no time.

MiKro: any chance you could re-upload that LP surface? the link appears to be dead.

thanks

luke

how about some Pict's.

Actually I have been collecting parts for my CNC router project and hop to at least have all the parts but the ball screws in a month or so. Since I work for an automation salvage company most of the items are scrap or obtained at scrap value prices. It should be a pretty heavy duty unit when I am done. Debating if I should scrounge up servos or stick to the steppers I already have. It is wood after all.

I qill take some pictures of the pile of parts when I am read to start.

Wow, I didn't know there was so many of you guys doing the CNC thing.

Mine is an MDF unit that uses skate bearings and aluminum right angle for the linear bearings. I'm using 269oz-in steppers and they seem to work well with the aluminium and delrin I've been machining. The bed is 600 x 900mm and has about 150mm of Z travel.

At the moment the machine is in pieces as i have moved house but will be back up and running in no time.

MiKro: any chance you could re-upload that LP surface? the link appears to be dead.

thanks

luke

The link works now. :D

• 1 month later...

I spent some time completely re-doing the small desktop CNC Mill and Im finally beginning to see some results. This is a huge but fun learning curve. I re-sized my full scale guitar cad drawings down to mini size to test cut on the little table. They included mostly 335 shaped stuff like body, headstock and 3 ply neck lams. Thanks for looking, -Vinny

CNCJuly010007.jpg

CNCJuly010006.jpg

CNCJuly010011.jpg

CNCJuly010009.jpg