Project Super Destroyer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right here we go... ABM Single bridges. After deciding to hold all the bridges in place and drill them all out together. I made some spacers to ensure I had equal spacing and keep the bridges square. Then I wrapped them with tape in a compensated position. I needed something to center the drill bit so I took my counter sink apart nad used it.

th_PC110475.jpgth_PC110476.jpg

th_PC110477.jpgth_PC110478.jpg

A picture of the spacers and the finished holes. If I had to do it again I would calculate out all the holes, mark them and drill. It worked well enough just not sure it was the greatest idea. The poplar is really hard to keep a bit from wandering in. This one has the maple neck tenon 1/4" down so the screws have plenty to bite into.

th_PC110479.jpg th_PC110480.jpg

th_PC110481.jpg

Polishing frets. I didn't take any pictures while I was dressing the frets or shaping the nut. I bought a diamond file of eBay for $30. It worked well enough. It is 230/320 grit and it made crowing really easy. I think it could have left a cleaner finish as I still had to sand all the frets a lot to remove the scratches. I will say that it is still much better than my old Gurian file.

th_PC110487.jpgth_PC110490.jpg

A little mock up. I will finish the nut and string it up this week. The bridges are slightly crooked but it is not what you think. I put them on with some stainless screws so I don't mar up the stock black screws before it is done. However the SS screws heads are not perfectly round. The original black screws are.

th_PC110495.jpgth_PC110497.jpg

• 6 months later...
Looks really good I really like iceman guitars I have been meaning to build one but can't find any plans for one and no one I know has one.

First off this is not an Iceman. I am not Paul Stanley.

plans? plans? who needs stinking plans... :D

I made a template for a real iceman. I am not sure how accurate it is. Do a little searching on this forum and you will find how to make a template from a picture.!!!

I know this is not an iceman I just like the idea of the iceman point on a destroyer.

I know about this post for making a template from a picture, moth and I both have posted ways to do it, mine was for the iceman to.

I just can't expplain how Orange this is. Pictures do not do it justice. It is going to look cool next to the Red and Yellow RG550s.

The first coat doesn't really cover everything and it is blotchy. The good thing is you can lay the second coat on heavier.

P6210715.jpg

P6210716.jpg

Definitely deer hunting orange. Neon guitars are just better than regular guitars... I never lose them in the room. Wait till it gets the black hardware. Also the new pickups are all black including the pole pieces.

I will do a black light photo when it is done.

Perfect color! If you build me a neon pink version I will be happy to do a synchronized solo with you :D .

I do not build neon pink guitars for grown men. Its the principle of the thing...

Could one of these be next?

<Danelectro 36 fret Long Horn>

Probably 2 or 3 years off but at some point. Truth be told this was the only guitar from them that I liked and I had to tweak it because the horn on theirs was wrong... too thin.

<spoiler>

The next personal guitar in the 80s metal series I build will be Neon Green :D But you have to wait till next year to see what it will be...

</spoiler>

love the orange - reminds me of my 1st Strat - i resprayed that neon orange after seeing a DY RG. went out side to put another coat on & the sun had come out - i was like AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! my eyes!!!! lol

should never have parted with that geetar.... never mind tho' - i payed £15 for it s/h & beat up, fixed her up & used it for 6 years as my main squeeze & then sold it for £120... only 6 stringer i've ever parted with & now wish I hadn't :D

This thing hurts my eyes... in the bright sun,

Zyonsdream -- That is about how green the next one will be.

Supp-- Sorry to hear that we all have one that we shouldn't have sold. I made a copy of the Green Meanie back in the day but I didn't miss it when it was gone...