Neck Pockets

dmahog

Hello everyone, just found this website yesterday. 2 questions:

1. If a neck should have an angle because the bridge is raised how do you rout the pocket create that angle for the neck

2. I dont have a guide?, (on the router bit), so does anyone have any suggestions on how to not screw up the neck pocket, and i guess the control and pickup cavities when you freehand it.

welcome to the FORUMS! why would the neck be at an angle? And what type of bridge are we talking about? by raised do you mean like a stop tail bridge piece, or a tremelo. I'm not quite understanding why you would have the neck on a slant. The headstock is usually on an angle not the neck. explain a little more then we can help! WELCOME!

Welcome to the forum dmahog :D

Two different ways just off the top of my head would be to either make a shim you can lay on top of the body wood so the router is effected at the correct angle or simply shim the neck pocket itself after routing. I'm sure some of the pro's around here have much better idea's though B)

welcome to the FORUMS! why would the neck be at an angle? And what type of bridge are we talking about? by raised do you mean like a stop tail bridge piece, or a tremelo. I'm not quite understanding why you would have the neck on a slant. The headstock is usually on an angle not the neck. explain a little more then we can help! WELCOME!

the neck is often angled when a t.o.m is used.like scott says the only other alternative is to recess the t.o.m.

nordic have you read melvin hiscock's book?you really should it explains all of the elementary concepts like neck angle .

hmmm..... not as precise as a router template, but i can see it being done, isn't that kinda hard on the maple top though? how many guitars u done that way wes? after 2 guitars i think you'd make a pocket template....