Control Cavity

I have read a good number of books on guitar building and am a fairly accomplished woodworker. The actual building of a guitar is far less daunting than the gaining the knowledge to build a good sounding one. Things like resonance and pickup placement and type are far more important to me than shaping and finishing a piece of wood. I have so far chosen a white ash body, maple neck and fretboard with 2 extra frets, a strat neck pickup with a humbucker bridge pickup and a one piece tail piece and bridge. I may be insane but then aren't we all. Ed

Nothing insane there imo. :D Have you considered adding a middle single coil (HSS) so you have a noise cancelling option? Or are you tapping the HB (or did you consider it)?

Things like your question are why I came to your website for help. I will be tapping both pickups and using paint in the cavity. My son is a music major studying guitar and this is a project that is trying to combine our talents. The information that you offer is one thing that allows us to complete this project. I wanted to know about the resonance so that we could hear the finished piece and then have one less unknown on our trip to the guitar of his dreams. I realize that might be a lot of wood away but you have to have a basis. Thanks loads, Ed

I have read a good number of books on guitar building and am a fairly accomplished woodworker. The actual building of a guitar is far less daunting than the gaining the knowledge to build a good sounding one. Things like resonance and pickup placement and type are far more important to me than shaping and finishing a piece of wood. I have so far chosen a white ash body, maple neck and fretboard with 2 extra frets, a strat neck pickup with a humbucker bridge pickup and a one piece tail piece and bridge. I may be insane but then aren't we all. Ed

Nothing insane there imo. :D Have you considered adding a middle single coil (HSS) so you have a noise cancelling option? Or are you tapping the HB (or did you consider it)?

Things like your question are why I came to your website for help. I will be tapping both pickups and using paint in the cavity. My son is a music major studying guitar and this is a project that is trying to combine our talents. The information that you offer is one thing that allows us to complete this project. I wanted to know about the resonance so that we could hear the finished piece and then have one less unknown on our trip to the guitar of his dreams. I realize that might be a lot of wood away but you have to have a basis. Thanks loads, Ed

As an update on the guitar I was building. As soon as I can figure out how to post a picture I will, but my son is now playing the guitar for class and professionally and it sounds great. Does a lot of slide work on it and the ash body does give it a ton of sustain. Thanks for the help and I'll post when I start the Lap Guitar we are now going to build, or when he comes home from school and shows me how to add a photo. Ed