Jackson style shark inlays

krazyderek

I'm kinda doing something in the motif of the jackson style inlays and i need both the normal and upside down ones to work off of as a base, if anyone has them in CAD or prefferably 1:1 scale jpg/gif/bitmap i would really appreciate it!

http://www.fender.com/new_repository/jacks...3_Rhoads_xl.jpg

http://www.fender.com/new_repository/jacks...2S_Dinky_xl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finaly got a digital camera, so i took a pic of the inlay design i was talking about. I'm still trying to figure out how i'm going to acurately do all the routing, and smooth curves

inlaydesign.jpg

a little update, THIS IS SOOOOOOOO HARD, cutting lacewood acrately is really hard, that along with my lack of inlay experience is making this very challenging!

just making them isn't my biggest concern though, routing a tight fitting pocket for each inlay is really concerning me, i'm so used to working with templates, that alligning, scoring, and routing out for each inlay has me nerve racked, to the point that i'v been putting it off for almost a week.

I had the same problem when I started doing inlay. All of my routing experience was either done with edge guides or templates. Free-hand routing takes a lot of patience. What tools are you using to do the routing? Do you have a magnifying lens/visor of some sort? Lots of good lighting?

my dremel to do most of it, some chisels and sergical blades to get the fishined outer shape for routing... i have 115 dremel high speed cutter that has like 16 flutes on it, and i have a micro one that'll get into the corners good...

scroll saw and a my stationary sander to make the inlays,

how do you set up and trace straight edges with a dremel? especially on something narrow like a fingerboard?

good to know i'm not alone :D

how do you set up and trace straight edges with a dremel? especially on something narrow like a fingerboard?

You need to inlay something with a straight line / edge? I have found this to be one of the hardest things for me to do. Actually, it's the cutting of the MOP, abalone, ... that is hard for me - in a straight line that is. For the Dremel, are you placing it right on the fretboard or are you using boards along side of it (and on top) as rails? If you are using the rails, how about double sticking a straight endged board and running the base of the Dremel along it? I'm probably not understanding the issue though.

The Larry Robinson video form stewmac is great if you don't have it yet.

yes, 2 straight edges and 1 curve for each inlay... the inlay material is lacewood so i'm not worried about the edges of the inlay not being straight..

hmmm i can set it up either on the FB or rails... i think i might double stick the fingerboard to a flat aluminium table and then stick the straight edge on the table as well and use my special base for the dremel..

ya i'll get my 2 straight edges, when put the inaly in, and score the sloped/curved side and do that one by hand,

cool, i guess that's the best way to do it, i'll try and take pics :D

Thanks B)