Pointy Stick

Muzz

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason you're wanting to show off your guitar mags? There's a different set in dang near every shot.

Of course, the reason is that if I showed off copies of 'Big and Bouncy' on the desk (I have been told they have photographically illustrated stories like 'Three nurses and a candle' where one nurse says, "Where's the candle?" and another one misunderstands and says, "I have noticed that it wears the candle" and then the other one answers, "No silly" and shows them the present location of the candle) our conversation would just go completely off topic, you would be telling me stuff, like, you have never bought a copy of Big and Bouncy but you have put a deposit on one. So we will just have to stick with the guitar mags. But stick with this post and I will show you a photo of one of my nuts.

p><p> Yay!!! KISS - gonna see

You will have a fantastic time, I saw them a couple of years back, totally :D here's some pics one of my friends took.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i43.tinypic.com/2elcqy0.jpg' alt='2elcqy0.jpg'>

30urcpd.jpg

and here is my Iceman

330zhnm.jpg

with a great brass inclusion on the nut, to make the open chords go kerrang

2w5sjlf.jpg

John Avenger's Iceman is looking fab so far, looking forward to seeing yours, Rock and Roll

30urcpd.jpg

In 1977 when I was in Kindergarten , the Teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up .......

I answered "Gene Simmons" ...... and -mortified - she asked why ...

I told her " He can spit fire and blood , he has HUGE monster boots and WINGS!!" Then I started mimicing him " God of Thundah!!!!... "

I got sent to see the principal and my parents were called in ( BIG country and Western fans ... not so keen on KISS ) and everyone wanted to know how I came to my conclusion........

( My older brothers )

I never did tell... made up some story about hearing it on the radio ....

I got hooked on guitar back then and it never left me.

Didn't grow up to be Gene , but I had my fun with music and playing live.

Thanks for posting that pic ! Its awesome to see 'em still kickin it !

Oh - and build something , would ya ??

I need pics ........ :D

Yep going for a bit of a retro look, so no swoosh, when did the swoosh appear?

1985 I believe. 1985 Catalog

What a great site, and the title is so true B)

In 1977 when I was in Kindergarten , the Teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up .......

I answered "Gene Simmons" ...... and -mortified - she asked why ...

I told her " He can spit fire and blood , he has HUGE monster boots and WINGS!!" Then I started mimicing him " God of Thundah!!!!... "

I got sent to see the principal and my parents were called in ( BIG country and Western fans ... not so keen on KISS ) and everyone wanted to know how I came to my conclusion........

( My older brothers )

I never did tell... made up some story about hearing it on the radio ....

I got hooked on guitar back then and it never left me.

Didn't grow up to be Gene , but I had my fun with music and playing live.

Thanks for posting that pic ! Its awesome to see 'em still kickin it !

Oh - and build something , would ya ??

I need pics ........ :D

I can't believe they sent you to Princey Pal for that, and called your rents B) good that people like GS had an influence on you, playing guitar is such a positive addiction.

Gene Simmons' TV series 'Rock School' showed him in a whole new light, I had a ton of respect for the dude after seeing that. At the end when those young kids that he coached absolutely kicked major butt in front of the Motorhead audience my jaw hit the floor.

I lined up the middles on the nut and the fretboard

21kgh88.jpg

It went on OK, proved a point to myself that you can cut out a fretboard end for a locking nut with hand tools, you don't need to route it.

15zi3io.jpg

I found my double sided tape, it was in the fourth drawer down :D used it to stick a brace on and lined up the template

212a5wg.jpg

Routed down to 10 mm then unscrewed the top pieces of the template and kept going to 19.5 mm

116lu1k.jpg

I'll post some pics with the neck in the body tomorrow.

I wonder what ever happened to Josh :D, anyway I followed his advice

2kk2z8.jpg

he was right, it looks a bit better like that

6ellc5.jpg

Tom was asking how essential is it that you can lift the guitar up by the neck before gluing, it is absolutely essential, otherwise when you do this shot you will just have a neck sticking up in the air

15qyii0.jpg

I took the block off the bridge, to check the centre line, it's fine, no need to redraw.

vcvwvs.jpg

Next step drill out the post holes.

I'm diggin' that shape! Nice piece of work!. Can't say the same for myself. My brother decided to try his hand at building guitars and completely wrecked my project. I'll post pics of the wreckage in my thread. (sob)

P.S. The Ibanez thing is getting a GFS hardtail, EMG Select pups, and new electronics. My pot is shot. Hehe, I made a funny.

Didn't go for the AANJ?? :D

I had to look that one up B), now that I know what an AANJ is I am afraid I can't tell you at this stage, I am making the plans up as I go along, but something is going to happen in that region, I just haven't decided what yet. At the very least, that little piece at the top of the neck pocket on the treble side has to go. There is nothing permanent holding the neck in at present. One of the great things about making a guitar is that you can do what ever the &*#$ you like, when you like ;)

Didn't go for the AANJ?? :D

I don't believe he's 1) glued the neck in yet or 2) finished with the body shaping, which would most likely include shaping the heel.

Do you ever get tired of being right? B)

I'm diggin' that shape! Nice piece of work!. Can't say the same for myself. My brother decided to try his hand at building guitars and completely wrecked my project. I'll post pics of the wreckage in my thread. (sob)

P.S. The Ibanez thing is getting a GFS hardtail, EMG Select pups, and new electronics. My pot is shot. Hehe, I made a funny.

Hey, glad you like it, comiz with your big brother's efforts, but I am looking forward to seeing the wreckage posted as well as the successful project with the EMG selects.

The posts I am using are 10 mm in diametre except for the last 6 mm length which are 8.5 mm in diametre, I guess this is to seat them more securely,

amxuup.jpg

so I did the last 6 mm with the thinner drill bit. I had to remember to make everything 6 mm deeper to allow for the floating route. On a 25 1/2" scale the posts go in at 25", I used a magnifying glass and pricked the centres.

vo7gbp.jpg

Using a small dowel to check the depths

357ikae.jpg

Block back on, string holders next

28spl6t.jpg

I am feeling relaxed from all the endorphins released by chocolate, hope everyone has a terrific Easter.

I am considering the neck options, there's Our Souls suggestion of an AANJ

or the solid block with plate

or the thinned out neck heal

I made a template for the block and trem bar cavity

pbuir.jpg

Whacked some MDG on it, routed through, then put it on the body and routed all the way through for the block

k35fli.jpg

Then for the whammy bar cavity I moved it up and routed down to 25 ml

10hpqw4.jpg

m8225c.jpg

Next stop the spring and claw cavity route.

Do swans sing before they die, as a legend tells?

Of course, they can´t afterwards, can they!?

Nope, it's a myth, but I hear that folks from Puebla ask a question about swans just before they get started and refinish a beautiful Yamaha SG :D

Today, I wrapped dowels in paper and stuck them in the holes and then lined up the bridge

15h1zt0.jpg

So as I could draw around it to get a feel for the top route

jt6jbo.jpg

That's gonna be tricky, still working on a template for that, there are some non-square bits, so I got on with the spring and up trem cavity

1zcjsxl.jpg

It went OK

35ksosk.jpg

Those eggs with the candy yolks and whites are the best.

Believe me, the SG is still right here by my bedside. Will get on it as soon as I sort out numerous financial burdens. Having a girlfriend and moving into your own place can take a toll on your banking account!

Yep life is full of priorities, it doesn't matter if you get onto that SG years from now, it's good to know you have a great project in front of you.

Candy eggs , Yay !

Who ate the most, you or the kids? :D

I want to route out the top so the trem can 'float' on the posts and do up bends as well as bass dives. Well none of the Floyd Rose routing patterns seemed to fit my trem, but the pro template available here was a good start, I glued it to some MDF and lined up the trem

9pom68.jpg

Adjusted it as needed and cut out the template

zv2cro.jpg

211s3r4.jpg

I just have to double the thickness of that template now.

211s3r4.jpg

you gona angle the template (make it wedge shaped) with the thick side towards the posts ?. I do it for floyds on my builds, it lets you get a deeper cavity at the back of the trem, better for pulling the fooker way back. kind of a lazy lions claw route from a jem :D

For a "lazy build" as you named it in the title, you sure are working your a$$ off. :D

I've been working? :D You know what John, I have been having so much fun with it, I am happy to break the rules, especially my own. Now if building guitars reduced the amount of junk in the trunk, many of us, especially you, would be fitting into some skinny (skinnier) arsed jeans B).

you gona angle the template (make it wedge shaped) with the thick side towards the posts ?. I do it for floyds on my builds, it lets you get a deeper cavity at the back of the trem, better for pulling the fooker way back. kind of a lazy lions claw route from a jem B)

What a great idea ;)

For a "lazy build" as you named it in the title, you sure are working your a$$ off. :D

I've been working? :D You know what John, I have been having so much fun with it, I am happy to break the rules, especially my own. Now if building guitars reduced the amount of junk in the trunk, many of us, especially you, would be fitting into some skinny (skinnier) arsed jeans B).

NO KIDDING!!!! I could do worse than to come down to a 38" waist. I haven't seen that in 10+ years.