Stainless Steel fretwire

rhoads56

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhoads,

The warmoth site says "Stainless steel wire is more difficult to install. (Though no different than Nickel/Silver to dress)."

More difficult - is this referring to what you were saying about having to make extra sure the fretboard is level? Or is there something else that makes S/S more difficult to install?

Just wondering whether its too difficult to install for a first-timer.

Rhoads,

The warmoth site says "Stainless steel wire is more difficult to install. (Though no different than Nickel/Silver to dress)."

More difficult - is this referring to what you were saying about having to make extra sure the fretboard is level? Or is there something else that makes S/S more difficult to install?

Dont know, i have never installed, seen or even held s/steel fret wire yet.

Rhoads,

They're alot harder to cut, file, level etc. you need Diamond cutting tools. standard files don't work very well

It'd be more difficult with standard files but not impossible. Read this for more info.

ok guys, its all ready to go as of the end of this week. The container is on the docks, and our boxes are inside. Just waiting on final customs clearance before we start shipping back out of the country.

Postage will be $6.00 USD, for the first five sets, and $8.00 for 6-10 sets.

I will email everyone individually over the next three days. If you dont hear from me, its because i dont have your contact details.

I now have paypal, so that will make things easier for all.

email if you like: guitars@monaro.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, hang on, the clowns at customs wont clear the container, as there is something in there they dont like (they wont say what, but it aint mine...). Im reluctant to take your money until i have the wire in my hands.... just incase there are quality issues. (you cant ever be too careful!)

Sorry, hang on, the clowns at customs wont clear the container, as there is something in there they dont like (they wont say what, but it aint mine...). Im reluctant to take your money until i have the wire in my hands.... just incase there are quality issues. (you cant ever be too careful!)

US intelligence picked-up on it, and now they think Australia is trying to build nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs that last 10 times longer than "nickel silver" nuclear bombs.

• 2 weeks later...
Still not cleared yet. when it is, and i have the fretwire in my hands, i will let everyone know.

go give'm a boot in the ass B)

The my tele is just about ready to be refreted!

seriously though, i would be making some calls if you haven't already, you coulda flew over to your supplier, watched him make them taken your vacation, then flew back in this ammount of time :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to apologise for dragging my feet with this one. There is quite a substantual customs bill which needs to be paid for, and i cant get the fret wire until its paid.

Im also looking for the best method of packaging the wire, as boxes are too big, and add costs to postage charges.

Im really hoping to have it all sorted out before the end of next week (27th March).

The pricing still stands, as before.

• 3 weeks later...
Im really hoping to have it all sorted out before the end of next week (27th March).

:D

*jeopardy song*

in terms of shippping, how long are the wires? my local post office sells carboard tubes that would be perfect for fret wire or truss rods, i imagine if you buy them in bulk you get a discount

• 2 months later...

OK, DRAMAS galore....

The story so far...

Well, i had a hefty customs bill i needed to clear, which was done a while back, then we had to get the container unlocked, but the guy who had the keys was away..... When it was finally opened, the order was WRONG..... but wrong in a good way :D

What was wrong?? Well, instead of sending us the entire batch in one size (as ordered), we got TWO different sized fretwire... standard stuff, and slightly LARGER stuff.

Standard stuff, as previously posted:

Crown height - 0.95mm - 0.037

Crown width - 2mm - 0.08

Tang width - 0.48mm - 0.019

Barb width - 0.78mm - 0.031

Overall height - 2.35mm - 0.094

Larger stuff:

Crown height - 1.17mm - 0.046

Crown width - 2.6mm - 0.103

Tang width - 0.5mm - 0.021

Barb width - 0.78mm - 0.031

Overall height - 2.85mm - 0.113

Only problem is.... the shipment is based on weight, not length of fretwire. So, the larger wire has meant we are getting less wire (length) for the same weight.

Now, to the prices....

PRICES IN USD

One guitar = 24 frets, 60-65mm each (2 3/8" - 2 1/2")

Standard wire:

$13 for one guitar worth

$36 for three guitars worth ($12 per guitar)

$55 for five guitars worth ($11 per guitar)

$100 for ten guitars worth ($10 per guitar)

Larger wire:

$14 for one guitar worth

$38 for three guitars worth ($12.66 per guitar)

$58 for five guitars worth ($11.66 per guitar)

$105 for ten guitars worth ($10.50 per guitar)

Unfortuanly, i couldnt offer the larger wire for the same price. I really am cutting this to the bone for you guys. Now, because this has dragged on for so long, i have no choice but to extend the time limit on the price. The prices above are valid until the end of JUNE 2004.

Postage rates:

USA and Canada:

1-2 lots $6.00

up to 5 lots $10.00

6-10 lots $18.00

Australia:

1-2 lots $2.00

up to 5 lots $5.00

6-10 lots $10.00

UK:

1-2 lots $8.00

up to 5 lots $13.00

6-10 lots $20.00

How is it to work with?? Well, i is just as easy to actually install as normal wire. It is pre radiused to 10-12 inch diameter. It is harder to level with normal files, but definately not as hard as some people have made it out to be. I do not own diamond files, and will not be purchasing any to do stainless fretwork specifically (for levelling anyway). Normal fretting files will work fine, it just takes a little longer (20% longer). You do need to pay more attention to the fretboard surface, to make sure it is ultra flat, otherwise you will be there forever trying to level it. It polishes magnificently, and feels like the frets have been made of carbon/graphite/grease it is so easy to bend.

I use the stewmac 3-1 fret crowning files, and they seem to be a little course/harsh, and therefore didnt work so well. To get around this, i used a piece of 240/360 grit wet and dry paper over the crowning file. I will be buying some diamond crowning files for all fretwork soon, as i feel the 3-1 files arent the ultimate files for the job (any fretwire). Having said all that, my 3-1 files have done a LOT of refret/recrown work, and i know they are very blunt at this point in time.

The only hardness tests ive done are by dropping a known metal weight from a specific height, onto the s/steel, and normal fretwire. The normal fretwire ended up with dents that were twice as deep (eg: twice the depth, width, and length) as the s/steel wire. If i constantly pressed hard on a string, and used heavy vibrato, the normal frets would wear within minutes, leaving a small flat spot, whereas the s/steel frets didnt wear at all, or lose any shine.

Will i be using s/steel wire on all my own range of guitars from now on?? NO! Simply because it is a unique item still, and it deserves an upcharge. I am charging $45 per guitar JUST FOR THE FRETWIRE to non projectguitar members, and $200 (aussie dollars) EXTRA (roughly double the price) for s/steel on a refret.

If you already put your name down, please let me know that when you email me, so i cant cross your name off the list. I wont chase up those people on the list for a few weeks yet.

Email me at guitars@monaro.com.au please, rather than PM me, as my inbox here is always getting filled up.