Demonic Bass

Horns that exceed the width of the body look awkward. as do long horns followed by short or no horns .. My skewed opinion

Original #3 looks best to me. But after looking at all your pictures the bodies seem a bit narrow at the lower bout..Maybe it is an optical delusion on my part or the whole drawing is not to scale...I suggest 12+ inches across if it is smaller than that..

• 3 months later...

Quick update on this project.... I have officially finished the design of this project. I have also determined the hardware and electronics setup I will be using.

Ive spent the last 3 months here in Minnesota interning as an industrial designer for Polaris Industries Inc. I havent had a lot of time to focus on this or any of my other personal projects until recently, but as I will be returning to CA in about a months time and I will be able to resume work on my guitar projects, I felt I should get the ball rolling again.

Ive designed this bass around the theme of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, focusing on the ambiguous antagonist who caries the name "Crimson King". The body inlay also comes from that characters mark. I have refined the shape to a point where I am completely satisfied. In the end the shape became fairly traditional, but traditional proportions are beautiful and that was the first goal. The "dark" twist was always secondary. Here is the final design:

CrimsonKing.jpg

I am also working on building a digital model to use for making my templates. I will post images when its complete. Shouldn't be too much longer.

As far as the electronics and hardware go, I have decided on using 2 EMG-HZ passive bass pickups in combination with 2 volume, 2 tone knobs. And I will be using simple Gotah tuners. I will stick with the monorail bridges. The Inlay will most likely be pearloid or similar, as I will again be using the laser to cut both the recesses and the inlay pieces.

I made the mistake of "organizing" all of my photobucket images so most of my so the links are broken to most of the images Ive posted. So I will at least repost the most recent sketch I did of this project.

CrimsonKing.jpg

I finally got around to building a digital model of this bass that I will be able to use for making y templates. Its pretty basic and the hardware and other details are very quick and dirty, but it is what it is. I forgot to model in the rear contour, so it looks kinda flat and uncomfortable right now, but that will be remedied before I print any plans. Here are a couple of screen shots of the model.

bass1-1.jpg

bass3-1.jpg

bass5.jpg

I want to have all the plans ready to print so I can get my templates laser cut as soon as I get back to school.