Diameter Of Speed Knob?

OrenG

@ our souls inc: How do you go about making your speed knobs? Ive been meaning to make some for my current project but i dont have a lathe.

p.s sorry for hijaking the thread

My knobs on my old cory zenox measure 15/16 on top and 1" on bottom

@ our souls inc: How do you go about making your speed knobs? Ive been meaning to make some for my current project but i dont have a lathe.

p.s sorry for hijaking the thread

My knobs on my old cory zenox measure 15/16 on top and 1" on bottom

Well the thread has already had a few answers to the OP's question so I don't feel bad about the threadjack now :D

I'll do a proper tutorial on these if there is any interest.

I take a 3/16" drill bit and insert it into a 1" hole saw blade. The 3/16" bit makes the hole for the Pot shaft and guides the hole-saw into the wood.

Clamp your wood down good ( safety first ) and make your initial "plunge" with the drill bit / hole saw .

* Important * Make sure the drill bit is only sticking out of the hole saw blade about 1/4" or so.

Once you make the initial plunge , you should have a 3/8" deep pot shaft hole and a 1/8" deep "ring" in the wood where you're going to get the knob from.

REMOVE the drill bit from the hole saw and finish going through the wood with just the hole saw .

Pop out the knob from the hole saw bit and sand/shape/paint/finish to taste .

They come out a hair smaller than a regular speed knob , but you can change the outcome of the size by changing hole saw blades.

Best of luck if you try it out !