lit fret board

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is how you would wire the leds in parallel so that if one burned out the rest would still work

ledswirring.jpg

Heh, Duracell battery! :D

nothing beats the copper top.

btw, brilliant diagram. worthy of awards.

:D give me a break i was on the phone at the time, btw, you'll have to work out the correct voltage and ie, the correct power source, it's more then likely not just a C cell AA

I think you need to spend some time with a breadboard and some components before making any plans. Not all of the replies here are accurate. I know I sound like a snob but I say this because : 1. I have done this on two fretboards. 2. I went to school for Electrical Engineering.

I can tell you that your biggest obstacle will not be voltage in this. It will be current draw. 9V batteries are great for guitars since they make boxes for them. Unfortunately, the 9V's are about the worst when it comes to maH (battery life). Depending on how many LEDs you use and what current you design for, you can expect no more than a few hours from a 9V unless you do something to blink / dim them. I'm not talking about a simple dimmer like in your house. There are many LED dimmer circuits out there but I would not suggest going that route.

After doing the research on LED circuits, you will probably know what I mean by the current / battery life issues. Then you have the issue of installation. It looks extremely simple on paper but is pretty tricky when you actually get into it. You need to pick your components carefully - not just any LED, not just any resistor, not just any type wire, ... Then you need to plan the wire routing and path to the body where the batteries will be.

I'm not saying this to discourage you - just want to share some info that I have learned from experience. It's great to see it when it's done but it's a lot of work getting there. I think LGM mentioned that he had issues doing it without losing money - the main reason is time. The installation takes a while - especially the first one you do.

Good Luck

Dave

no not 2 volt because then the other leds in series will be drained and running at half power

wasn't aware leds needed resistors if you had the right power source

Please see my post above. I don't know a kind way to say that some of the replies are not exactly accurate. I don't mean to pick on you guys but you were the closest I could quote.

Resistors are not spec'd by voltage - by resistance (ohms). The power supply does not have anything to do with the LED's needing resistors. Without the resistors, you would have no protection for the LED's - they are needed. The current running through the LED's needs to be limited to prevent burn-out. That's the main reason for the resistor. You can use one (with parallel LED's) or one resistor for each LED (resistor in series with LED's).

The original poster really needs to do some research and breadboarding (practicing with the electrical thingers) before going further. Don't move forward with buying anything until you understand everything. You can waste a lot of money! (and please read my previous reply above).

Thanks and sorry for sounding rude to the two guys I quoted.

Dave

???? what do you mean daveeq. its been done tons of times with batteries

Ahhhh!!! I wasn't saying that it can't be done with batteries! I was pointing out that 9V may not be the best way to go. Check into maH for each tpye of battery. You will see that the 9V has about the worst.

As for a circuit, I hate to post something like that since many people will just try to run with it without understanding it. I will try to find a good site with circuits within. Please stay tuned. I personally like using one resistor for each LED. That way if one LED burns out, the others don't get brighter. It's more time in the install though.

no offense taken. i do practice with electrical things every single day. i just am not certain on this. so you are telling me that for every led in series you need a resistor? that seems strange that there would be no natural impedence from the leds. thats strange. do you think you could diagram sometihng out for me?

OK, here's one good site.

The LED light

I would reccomend the Basics topic, battery technical data, and definitely the "Simplest ways ...." links.

Some of you may be able to put all of that together and understand it without trouble. Others just have a hard time with electronics - it's kinda like math some people get it, some just don't.

None of those links will show the exact circuit that I use. I can help if someone needs specific help with something. It would be better if you read through that stuff before going further though.

Hope that helps you fellow LED'rs out there. I'll be posting pics of my latest LED board very soon.

Dave

so you are telling me that for every led in series you need a resistor?

The LED's just need current protection. You can use one resistor for all LEDs. I don't like doing it that way due to the dynamics of the circuit when an LED fails. USing one per LED makes it stable. I'm not sure what you mean by natural impedance?