Kahler flat-mount trems

kahler never disappeared as far as i know....slayer has always had them on every guitar they have had since the eightees....and kahler is still around and producing.i saw a spyder trem on a guitar about 6 months ago....i thought it had liscensed by floyd rose on it?

i may be wrong about that

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

After floyd sued them, the spyder was licenced. i have seen both models. They didnt disappear per say, but did decraease in new availability. Jackson was already using the floyd exclusively, and the lawsuit hurt kahler's credibility. those who swore by em, still used em, and I have heard about people tracking them down and or cannibalizing them out of other guitars.

hannemans early guitar is a jackson with a flatmount.you can still get a custom shop jackson with any bridge you want,as far as i know.

i think they only offer floyds on the mass produced guitars is because they are cheaper(most are licensed)and i don't think kahler will sell the liscensing the way floyd rose will.so there are no "cheaper equivalents"

i guess they(kahler) are happy producing only a few

i don't think kahler will sell the liscensing the way floyd rose will.so there are no "cheaper equivalents"

i guess they(kahler) are happy producing only a few

Correct and correct. They are only a very small company.

Which could easily change if they mass produced Kahlers. I know alot of people that never even played a Kahler and dont know what there missing. If Kahlers became easier to aquire Floyd Rose would have some problems :D

Exactly. And sicne the company that makes the kahlers seems to give a rats ass about it, the floys will always be the winner in sales... plus the fact that theres like 600 different licensed floyds out there makes them extremly easy to get at about any price. Its a shame..

Stay with me on this one...

About five years ago, i was offered a sole distributorship (for my state) in a 3D software company. The software was the BEST on the market, had the backing of people who cared, was the cheapest product, and was easy to use.

However, another company in opposition to us, was marketting their softeware as being better because it was more expensive. They conducted MASSIVE marketting campaigns, and slowly got the market share. The whole time the place i was the rep for, did nothing about it, and started to lose money (you cant continue R+D if there is no money coming in).

Then they decided to start taking action, but it was too late. They lost a **** load of money, and couldnt afford to continue developping the software. Soon, other companies started making strategic deals with our opposition, and things have gone downhill big time. In 2003, i had one single query from someone looking for what we had to offer.

I see kahler as being in the same position. They are the best, but didnt market it. They didnt offer licenses like floyd did, and they didnt set up aliances with other manufacturers. Floyd sunk everything they had into advertising, and endorsed the right people.

Shame really.

Kahler WAS huge back in the day. They DID have big-name endorsers and had big splashy ads all over the guitar magazines in the early '80s.

But then the Kramer/Floyd Rose marketing machine fired up in the mid-'80s and every rock guitarist in the world either had a Floyd on a Kramer or a Charvel/Jackson.

The history is a little sketchy, but Kahler made a stud-mounted fulcrum trem and later got sued by Floyd Rose. Then they became a legit Floyd licensee (the beginning of the end) and eventually went bankrupt. They had solidly engineered products, but just couldn't compete with the widespread belief that "nothing stays in tune better than a Floyd Rose."

I'd love to see them come back and compete a bit more, but it seems they're not all that interested in making guitar bridges their primary business again. Once bitten, twice shy, i suppose.

Yeh i think Eddie's use of floyds was the biggest sell point for floyd. Even though his frankenstrat woulda been easier to put a kahler on in stead of routing the spring cavity ect.. for the floyd

Eddie's Frankenstrat was already routed for a Fender-style trem, so mounting a Floyd was a no-brainer.

• 3 months later...