John Abbett Posted March 15, 2010 Report Share Posted March 15, 2010 Progress Update. I finished the back plate and attached it to the rims. It was quite a bit of work to get this right. Took some time. I used a safe-t-planer to make ledges on the outside face of the plate. Made it go pretty fast, then I used a hand plane to take off the edges and then a random orbit sander with 50 grit disks to finish the rough process. Then I switched to 100 grit to fine tune it. Cleaned it up with 220. The setup I used to rough out the underside of the top plate is: I used cork on top of a block. I modified a forstner bit, ground off the center pin. It worked pretty well. I could hog off a lot of wood, and the block was wide enough that when the pressure from the bit bit into the wood, the wood matched the angle of the top. The only problem I had was that the drill press wasn't deep enough to get to the middle of the wood. So I had to chisel out the center. Cleaned it up with 50 grit sanding disk, and then 220 to smooth it out. Finished thickness is 1/4 inche. It's pretty thick. I will probably take it down a little when I finish sand and prep the edges for binding. All in all pretty good deal. Oh, the inclusions you see, the brown streaks will be hidden in the tabacco burst. One in the top and one near the bottom. Here are the finished plates. On to the Spruce top... -j Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.