Cocobolo Long Neck Blanks: $75 Each... Good Deal?

In the UK that is a good deal - pull the trigger!

Even if you sit on them for a year or two, the price of cocobolo will only go up - and it will likely move higher on the CITES radar, which means that one of these days it will be impossible to import.

Make sure you cut yourself out some fretboards when you trim the extra from the back of the neck.

in the states cocobola is around $16 Board ft for 8/4 stock less or more for thinner or thicker stock

http://www.cocoboloinc.com/price.html

I don't know the going rate for cocobolo, but it's much cheaper than that if you buy it here in a store. I got a huge board of it a few weeks ago for less than half that price. It sounds incredible too. It's just barely not wide enough to do a 3x3 headstock (I think), but it's plenty long for a neck through.

Nevermind what I said. The board I bought was about half as thick. That's why it was half the price the price. :D I skipped over that in your post.

It was still a little bit less, but it seems the one you're looking at is a good price. It sucks that you can't hear it before hand, but cocobolo almost always sounds great, at least in my experience. :D

Edited by NotYou

One neck?!?! You kiddin'? That's exactly the size you need to make TWO thick heeled set neck necks! Go watch my scarf joint video and in the first couple seconds notice the shape of the blank... then imagine another one the exact same shape mated to it, but 180 degrees... that's a 2x3x36" blank :D

I think that's a great price, if you don't want in, drop me a PM with some pictures and I might buy one. God knows the last thing I need to do is acumulate wood while over here in Europe... but God knows I love a good cocobolo double neck blank...

Chris

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to go for it. I'll now blame all of you for the poor state of my bank account. :D

One neck?!?! You kiddin'? That's exactly the size you need to make TWO thick heeled set neck necks! Go watch my scarf joint video and in the first couple seconds notice the shape of the blank... then imagine another one the exact same shape mated to it, but 180 degrees... that's a 2x3x36" blank :D

I was talking about a non-scarfed neck... if you scarf it, yes, lots of necks! Either way, you can still get some fretboards out of it so it's all good.