Strat Chip Repair

Reinhold

My MIM strat has a 1/4 x 3/4 inch chip on the back down to the wood. It looks exactly like the guitar of the month except much smaller and on the back round near the strap button. How do I fix this, should I buy some automotive touch-up paint, layer it on thin, then super glue drop-fill it, then sand it down flush? Fender states that the finish on these are made of polyester, so I didn't think lacquer would be the best for a drop-fill. Since it's on the back, the color doesn't really have to match, but I couldn't find a tutorial on how to do this repair when the color has been removed with the clear-coat chip.

Thanks in advance,

Reinhold

Edited by Reinhold

I caught the GOTM reference ;-)

You'll most likely need to drop fill with a solid colour (spray paint in the lid and dropfill with a toothpick or cocktail stick) that matches, although replacing clear is more difficult. Some finishes can be reflowed to disguise cracks IIRC, although if a chip of the colour is missing then you're between a rock and a hard place.

Pics?

I caught the GOTM reference ;-)

You'll most likely need to drop fill with a solid colour (spray paint in the lid and dropfill with a toothpick or cocktail stick) that matches, although replacing clear is more difficult. Some finishes can be reflowed to disguise cracks IIRC, although if a chip of the colour is missing then you're between a rock and a hard place.

Pics?

That sucks. I couldent get the scratches out of my SRV, The finish went to hell when I tried ha ha ha :D .

We need some pics here. & a spec on the guitar. What model, what year. The finishes can vary. Some of the modern models have poly base coats & nitro top coats. Some are al poly. THe repair will depend on what you have.