Improvised Spraying

avengers63

The only draw back I have with siphon guns is that you never use all of the paint.

I have only one siphon gun, and I get the same results from that or my gravity feeds.

I'm reading this a little sideways I think, it sounds to me like you're saying you don't like the BIG guns (quart) because you don't use all the product, which I agree with.

But what you SAID is that you don't like siphon guns for that reason, but gravity or siphon shouldn't really make a difference, it's the size of the gun you're referring to, right?

My siphon guns are pint guns, not quart guns.

Unless I honestly don't understand what you're really trying to say and need some clarification...

I think I worded it badly looking back at the post. My gripe with the siphon feed is that you always have some paint left at the bottom of the cup, because the tube never goes all the way to the bottom. Gravity feed you don't get this problem. If I mix my batches right I get the required number of coats with a little left for any areas that I feel might be a little thin and can use as needed.

When using either a gravity fed or a siphon fed, I get the same quality spraying though. As long as I set the guns up right I get the same finish with both of them.

I web site called Holmstead finishing. They answered a few question I had a while back. They dont try hard sell you anything just tell you the facts. World renoun finishing experts.

Go to the local Auto Repair Shop, ask for an empty Freon Tank, they'll give it to you. After all , Florida is the AC King. The Auto Parts Stores sell a pressure valve/regulator kit to convert freon tanks to air tanks ($20 maybe) Home Depot gun and cheap 15 ft hose. When tank is empty, throw it in that car, go to the gas station and fill it back up. I used this set-up when I did airbrush T-shirts years ago.

Freon Tank -FREE

Valve/Regulator $20

Spray Gun/Hose $45

Air Re-fill .25 cents

All for maybe $65.25 ???

Spraying your first finish: PRICELESS!!

I couldnt resist that tagline -Vinny

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Air-Tank-5-...648&sr=8-11

Interesting Idea there,Vinny.Not sure about the freon tank,but amazon has that one I posted the link to pretty cheap.I have thought about getting one for portable air.How long you reckon 5 gallons of air at 125 PSI would last?

I can never buy a good compressor,because I have no place to lock it up,and things have been known to walk out of my garage.I always think of building myself a shop to lock up,but your idea,if good enough to shoot a guitar in one fill up,could be a good solution because it has multiple uses for me.

Those portable tanks are handy for low volume stuff like an air brush, but its not going to be enough for a regular type gun. You could plumb a couple of them together for more storage, but your starting to get into less bang for the buck return on your $.

Somewhat related, a neat solution for more air storage if you have a smaller compressor is to find a scratch and dent water heater at the local supply house and plumb it inline. Water heaters are rated for 150Lbs and an extra 40 - 50 gal of storage can come in handy if you have a smaller compressor.