How I Do The Poster Finish..........or

I've always wanted to do one of these! They look like so much fun! There's got to be some way to do it without using contact cement though? For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to use it on a guitar (don't ask why, just internal prejudice since I used it in pre-school lol). I'd love to find a way to do it with epoxy or something, but so that it doesn't leak through the paper... so I could do it on a carved top in my vacuum system or something!

Chris

Actually , after experimenting with a couple of glues : elmers , titebond and the contact cement , The cement wins hands down. I had the elmers and the titebond soak the paper to the point where it rips/bleeds or otherwise makes you start over ! and don't put sealer on top of it either - soaks through in random locations leaving spots behind.

The carved top vaccuum thing has me goin :D

I don't think the paper would stretch as much as wrinkle. Although stretchy fabric would be do-able .

The Pirates of the Carribean guitar would be easy to do this way - and wayyyy cheap compared to airbrushing. Just gotta consider the edges and hiding them.

Good luck experimenting if you do ! feel free to ask questions.

I've always wanted to do one of these! They look like so much fun! There's got to be some way to do it without using contact cement though? For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to use it on a guitar (don't ask why, just internal prejudice since I used it in pre-school lol). I'd love to find a way to do it with epoxy or something, but so that it doesn't leak through the paper... so I could do it on a carved top in my vacuum system or something!

Chris

Graphics companies use ink jet printers to print on adhesive backed vinyl which are then used to wrap vehicles. The prints and materials carry warranties of 2 to 7 years for outdoor all weather conditions. They can be applied over the compound curves of fenders and such so a carved top guitar would be no problem. They would, however, be more expensive than Our Souls' poster and contact cement method.

Another positive would be that you can get just about any design or picture printed.

SR

What are you able to use as a finish without dorking up the poster?

BTW: I'm a comic book junkie, so you just went REALLY high up in my rankings. :D

Cool... I knew somebody would dig it. I tried to go for a neutral pic that would probably sell and I ended up with this.

The laquer I use ( rattlecan ) has never given me a problem. As long as you have no air bubbles under your picture , the clear will last at least 2 years and 120 shows. Ask me how I know that.... :D

- heres how the front went down.

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

the clear is drying as I type , probably won't see anymore of this one for a week or so.

Chris

For what you are talking about I use vinyl. Get your graphic printed on some thin vinyl & use a heat gun to get it to form over the carve (keep the gun on real low & hold it well back from the graphic, or use a hair dryer) I use srslditr 2 part epoxy with an open time of about 30 mins for it, spread out realy fine.

It works well & doesent required the addition of any sealer prior to application of the poly clear coat.

how are you planning on treating the edges.

im thinking a black burst clost to the edge so it doesn't cover very much of the graphics but covers the sides of the guitar.

You got it - sand n fill the edges smooth then black em out. A little overspray/mist on the edges would look good or just do a nice clean line to transition it.

Pauliemc - that vinyl application is in use on guitars already , I remember seeing some of those George Lynch graphics on the 'bay a while back. This method only rocks for the " keep it under $10 " crowd . I think those vinyl ones cost more than I paid for the body. :D