crate blue voodoo

the little practice amp i've been using at home for years went t--s up on me this past sunday right in the middle of an afternoon jam with a living room full of people & gear

so i put the word out i needed something

i'm ready as a player for more sound & i really want a tube unit

i only yesterday became aware this one might be for sale

i haven't seen or played it yet

my style of play is abstract/out of the box jazz stuff on the top end

with a lot of heavy 5ths w/an octave power chord stuff below

i like a real gritty sound with an edge to it

i'm thinkin the blue voodoo might fit that quite well

i did some reading on line & the cabs have celestion 30's in them

the word is the guy will sell the entire rig for about what the head alone will cost new...

Sounds like you mainly play through the clean channel and look for a jazzy/bluesy sound....I think the Crate is not for you then....Why use a 4x12 Box and a heavey head if you can wonderful clean sounds out of the much smaller Fender &  Mesa Tube combos? You can read alot of reviews on the Blue Vodoo here.

not so

i like the jazz note selection but the sound is rock/metal

a metal jazz if you will

the buttery sound gets real old with me real quick

distortion pedals...wah...etc are always on when i'm jaming

imagine robben ford playing his miles davis stuff

with zack wilde or someone similar doing the rythum stuff

i'm thinkin the crate might be just what i'm looking for

I've tried the blue voodoo in the past and liked it very much. To me it sounded more like Marshall than Mesa but the gain was a bit more more metal than r-n-r. Beware-the original blue voodoos had clestions in them but then when they became a little more popular they broke the cabs and heads into two seperate groups. The upper ones which kept the celestions and birch cab. Then the budget minded ones with crate speakers and cheaper ply or MDF cabs. The more expensive cabs had the big crate letters in gold centered on the grille. The cheaper one had the crate logo with the rectangle around it similar to the Red Voodoo which is pretty much a different colored blue voodoo. The original heads were 120 watts I belive and then they later made a 60 watt version I think. But like everyone else said try it out and decide for yourself.

I've tried the blue voodoo in the past and liked it very much.  To me it sounded more like Marshall than Mesa but the gain was a bit more more metal than r-n-r.  Beware-the original blue voodoos had clestions in them but then when they became a little more popular they broke the cabs and heads into two seperate groups.  The upper ones which kept the celestions and birch cab.  Then the budget minded ones with crate speakers and cheaper ply or MDF cabs.  The more expensive cabs had the big crate letters in gold centered on the grille.  The cheaper one had the crate logo with the rectangle around it similar to the Red Voodoo which is pretty much a different colored blue voodoo.  The original heads were 120 watts I belive and then they later made a 60 watt version I think.  But like everyone else said try it out and decide for yourself.

thanks for the feedback

over the weekend i read a bunch of user reviews on harmony central on this amp

a couple of very negative reviews

however most of the comments (about 30) were very positive

one guy said he'd been gigging with one for about 5/6 yrs & no problems other than a tube or two which is normal

says he plays everything from jazz to death metal on it & would buy another if he lost the one he has

the one i'm considering is the 120w with celestion v30s

(in my original post i said it was 100w...sorry my mistake)

i haven't seen it yet

not sure what year it was mfg.

i'm doing a neck reset for the roommate of the guy who owns it

he says it's like new...been used very little

i'm really anxious to take a couple of axes and check it out

dr

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion is don't buy it. I had one in a 60 watt studio and my friend had one that was 100 watt 4X10.

The transformers in mine melted down after about 6 months(rarely had it above 4). My friends melted down in about the same time. I've also heard that they go through tubes like crazy.

Crate does make good solid state amps though.

My suggestion is don't buy it. I had one in a 60 watt studio and my friend had one that was 100 watt 4X10.

The transformers in mine melted down after about 6 months(rarely had it above 4). My friends melted down in about the same time. I've also heard that they go through tubes like crazy.

Crate does make good solid state amps though.

i didn't get it

another guy got there first

you could be right...i heard that the guy who got it

took it to a gig & it went down on him during the show

thanks for the reply

dr