*the* Guitar Tone

Johnny Foreigner

So I'm curious what everyone's preference is for the ultimate guitar sound, as captured by another player.

For me, it's Andy Cairns' sound on 1994's Troublegum: http://www.myspace.com/therapyquestionmark - have a play of 'Screamager'.

It can be a rhythm sound, a lead sound, whatever. That sound that you want to replicate when you play.

Bass sound would be Marco Hietela's from Tarot and Nightwish. Warwick Infinity bass, tuned to D-standard (hence the clacking of the strings on the frets, I believe), and I think he uses Warwick bass amps as well.

Guitar... probably Tim Armstrong from Rancid, or maybe Lars. Tim's Mesa Boogie with a hollow-body Gretsch is pretty kickass, really nice controllable feedback and sustain. And he can get sounds ranging from hardcore punk to ska out of it, so that'd suit me as well.

one of my favorites:

although i always like watching the fretted america videos for good examples of how things should sound

www.frettedamericana.com

phil x is a annoying twat - but the guitars are nice and he plays them well

this one gets me

look which one i just found - a myka

There's no way in he11 I could nail down just one.

Some of my favorites:

Mark Knopfler / Sultans Of Swing

Duane Eddy / Rabble Rouser

Alex Liefson / 2112 (various parts)

(dude from Faster Pussycat) / Bathroom Wall

Tony Iommi / War Pigs

Scott Ian / Time

Angus & Malcom Young / Let There Be Rock

Eric Clapton / Crossroads (live)

I've found that I really love the sound of a HB in parallel. Twang has so much more character than power to me. It's the ideal blend of crunch and bite. If only you could bottle a P90 without the s/c hum.

For me its got to be bb king, in particular these two songs because I listen to them pretty much everyday for 3 years and it still gives me chills every time. finally got to see him live and was just as sweet if not sweeter.

Lucille-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8QxOjuYHg...feature=related

The thrill is gone-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tHI6FPrQdg

There're so many different good tones in so many different genres, it's hard to just name a few...

Metal: Sepultura - Chaos A.D.; Megadeth - Peace Sells

Rock: Alice In Chains - Facelift; Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking; Joe Bonamassa - So, It's Like That

Classic Rock: AC/DC - Back in Black; Black Sabbath - Master of Reality; The Who - Live at Leeds

Pop: Icehouse - Man of Colours; B-52s - The B-52s; Bob Mould - Black Sheets of Rain

Acoustic: Chris Whitley - Living With the Law; Leon Redbone - Up a Lazy River; Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

Indie: Pixies - Doolittle; Shellac - At Action Park

...King's lead sound is too dry.

You know, I love Slayer. But this is my opinion with pretty much all of there stuff, with possibly an exception with Season in the Abyss. Just sounds so dry to me.

Which doesn't make much sense to me, because both they and Zakk use JCM 2203's with 6550/KT88 tubes, and EMG pickups. But Zakk's tone sounds so much more "organic" and raunchy.

Maybe it's Kerry's maple guitars...?

• 4 weeks later...

A good friend for many years, the late and great Al Hodge, from Bodmin, Cornwall, UK (sadly departed this world in 6 July 2006 - brain tumour :D ) had a wonderful sound, no matter what guitar he played. Listen to these and I'm sure you'll agree. The first is a clip of Al playing his incredible version of the lead in "Hotel California", the second is his rendition of "Ain't That Peculiar", with some beautiful sounds from his Strat.