Adrian Smith Sandimas Copy With A Twist

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does acrylic do on a router? Ive never done it before, but I had planned to laser cut the pick guards then bevel the edges on the router table.

If you're going to hit them with the router, why bother with the laser cutter in the first place?

If you aren't looking at it, I'm doing a mirored acrylic top on an Iceman.

wip42.jpg

wip45.jpg

RULE #1 - reduce the cutting speed. RULE #2 - high TPI. The big thing to remember with it is that it's plastic. Plastic melts. Cutting causes friction which generates heat, which will melt the plastic. Plastic is also a little bit brittle, so it can be prone to cracking & chipping. When cutting, use a blade with at LEAST 12-14 TPI. I cut mine out on the scroll saw. When you route to the template or to bevel the edge, take as small a bite as you can - smaller than with wood. You REALLY need to creep up on the final shape. This isn't wood. You're not slicing away thin layers of the natural fibers. You're slicing/chipping away at a hard, man-made substance that doesn't want to be cut.

I'd say if you have access to a laser cutter than can do bevels and work at a lower heat, then that's the best way to go.

So..........

you gonna use the CNC to cut out a strat? :D

Ha! Of course! Joking aside tho, no, this one will be done by hand.

How does acrylic do on a router? Ive never done it before, but I had planned to laser cut the pick guards then bevel the edges on the router table.

If you're going to hit them with the router, why bother with the laser cutter in the first place?

If you aren't looking at it, I'm doing a mirored acrylic top on an Iceman.

I'd say if you have access to a laser cutter than can do bevels and work at a lower heat, then that's the best way to go.

Im not sure understand exactly what your saying here... I guess theres a way to do bevels on the laser while cutting and I could probably find out how, but I didnt think about doing it that way cuz I didnt realize that was an option. I figured I would cut it on the laser cuz I can do that in about 25 seconds and the perimiter will be perfect. I wanted a bevel so I thought Id do that afterwords on the router table... if there is a better way im totally up for it. thanks.

G

But flip the image.

I thought that would look better too, but the writing on the tombstone is backwords. It looks a little cheesy.

........I thought that would look better too, but the writing on the tombstone is backwords. It looks a little cheesy.

Was totally joshing ya about the CNC thing - I'd do it if I could too. At least use templates unless you want it to look like my stuff... :D

About the flipped image , get the best of both worlds - try to flip the whole image with the tombstone writing overlayed in the right direction.......

Bobble-head Eddie approves.

........I thought that would look better too, but the writing on the tombstone is backwords. It looks a little cheesy.

Was totally joshing ya about the CNC thing - I'd do it if I could too. At least use templates unless you want it to look like my stuff... :D

About the flipped image , get the best of both worlds - try to flip the whole image with the tombstone writing overlayed in the right direction.......

Bobble-head Eddie approves.

Yeah I knew you were kidding. Ill definately be using templates as well, not that I dont want tit to look like yours... :D I did a mockup with the image flipped and the gravestone lettering inversed a while back. It looks ok, but I still like the BNW one better.

So... I started making the plans for laser cutting my templates using the best Strat CAD file I could find. Its the Yngwie Malmsteen model on the DL section of this forum. But it doesnt have a body profile image which would be nice to have, and the San Dimas has a few important differences that I want to make sure I get right.

The output jack is on the side rather than the top, it has a HB at the bridge rather than a SC, and the headstock shape is a little different that the swoopy paddle Strat version. Also the rout for the top mount OFR is different than a standard Fender trem and obviously requires studs.

I can mash up components and peices to come up with a final product if I could only locate decent ones. I know these kind of questions are frowned upon in this forum and Im already expecting to get the "do a search" response, but I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find a CAD drawing of a Jackson San Dimas? Or any similar drawing I could use. Not the one with the traditional Jackson headstock though. Id rather not have to pay for them either, kind of defeats the purpose of making my own templates in the first place. If it came down to it I could easily use an image of one and draw it out myself, but that wouldn't be as accurate and Id prefer to not to. It may seem like a minor thing, but any help is greatly appreciated...

I just joined this forum today and come across this post. I have been tossing up the Idea of doing a tele with the Graphics from "i" with eye of ra inlays.

anyway cool Idea i cant wait to see the finished product.

Sounds cool man, if it were me I would use graphics from 'Powerslave' or at least 'Somewhere Back in Time' with pyramids if I were going to do the eye if Ra inlay.

This project will be a long time in the making so dont hold your breath...

Just finalizing the design up a little bit. Got all of my templates drawn and ready to cut with the laser. Im hoping to get the bodies and necks cut and partially shaped before I really go nutz with the Giger guitar. Depending on the time table for the other guitar I may be able to get these two close to done in the next few months. Im gonna hold out on getting the hardware and electronics until later.

Im trying to decide weather to add graphics to the HS in addition to the body. Ive decided to badge it "Maiden USA". Jackson decal may or may not make it onto either of the final products, but Im including it here for continuity sake.

BNWhs.jpg

Edited by MuffinPunch

• 1 month later...

ASSanDimasfinal.jpg

I couldnt figure out why I didnt like the graphic headstock... so I finally pulled my head out of my rear and realized the black Jackson graphic and the maple fingerboard just didnt match the overall theme very well. The ebony FB version of the original guitar uses abalone inlay dots, and it matches the mood of the body graphics much better. Still not sure I will actually use "Jackson", but it will definately be an abalone inlay instead of a black graphic. So I have basically decided to changes the roles of the twin builds at this point. The IM tribute version will incorporate the theme of the all white San Dimas and the "clone" will follow that of the maple and black version. I just got back to school this week so I will be buying my supplies to start this and my other builds shortly. My templates are all ready to laser and Ive got my wood plans all figured out. Now my main concern is trying to dig out all of my guitar tools from the 10X10' storage unit we packed our life into when we left for Minnesota!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought the wood for this and my seven string project.

Raw lumber from the yard including the stuff for my other project.

100_5129.jpg

The alder plank.

100_5130.jpg

The maple neck blanks

100_5135.jpg

the alder is a bit knotty, but I should be able to work around those spots fairly easily. Things will progress very quickly at first, but I dont think ill be finishing this for a while after I get the basics done. I also bought my shaping tools, fret wire and truss rods. Im looking into the fretboards. Im going use a compound radius, but Im not really up to trying to tackle that on my own so Ill probably end up ordering them from StewMac and adding the inlay dots myself.

Edited by MuffinPunch

If your looking for a Fret-board I would suggest posting in the Buy section of the forum, You could probably get one for your 7-String as well.

-Stormy

Ive inquired of some of the guys on here who make custom fretboards, but the prices seem to be a little steep for me unfortunately. StewMac sells Maple ones with a compound radius for $16, and Ebony ones for $45. Seems like a pretty good deal compared to what custom ones go for.

• 2 weeks later...

First signs of this project actually materializing! I spent the day in the shop and made some real progress. I got my templates all laser cut. Took about 4 min. and cost me a total of $7. Beats buying them online! (besides the fact that you cant find strat templates with a FR rout)

100_5221.jpg

Then I traced and rough cut the bodies on the band saw.

100_5197.jpg

Finished off by cleaning the edges up on the router table using a brand new bit!

100_5199.jpg

I was hoping to get the cavities all milled today, but the equipment was being monopolized by another student all afternoon. Ill get that done next week while my scarf joints on the 7 strings dry. Shop is closed till monday or Id be doing it tomorrow... Ive also decided to add a faux skunk stripe TR patch on the back of the necks with some left over walnut. Ill be installing double action rods from the front of the neck under the FB with the adjustment nut at the heel, so call me cheesy if you want to. It wouldnt surprise me if the original was done the same way though, as it uses a 2 piece neck/fingerboard, but still has a skink stripe. I havent really looked into it. Happy 4th everyone!

Edited by MuffinPunch