mini-guitar request for comments

i pass a lot of time in front of the pc and the room and my brother pc dont let me enough space to play in the chair, so, why not build a mini guitar?

the design wil be neck thru, i was searching thinks like this and the only ones i found where the dean mini, but i got luck and founded this babies in the japanese esp web

i prefer the very short scale approach better to try to do a steinberger desing or some else

esp edwards mini

mini_scale.jpg

i would go with a single humbucker 520mm/22frets neck maybe scalloped, and use some sintetic materials

the hard stuff will be the tuners i think...

some ideas¿?

I bought a steinberger for the same purpose. It's a full scale (25.5") guitar measuring 30" (762mm.) How long is that guitar from tip to tip? If you're in a tight area, the head takes up way too much space... needlessly (I think.)

Have you played a short-scaled guitar before? It's pretty tight on the fingers. I'm planning a short-scaled guitar too. For use in even tighter situations like on a plane or car :D. Maybe something like a Palm Guitar or chiquita. But it'd be headless using a design like I suggested here. I mention LSR tuners in that link. They're expensive but look very cool B).

the total that i got is 635mms, i liked to buy an steinberger, an some kramers, but the shipping to spain kill me

the desing in the semiheadless is interesting, but i think that the head had resonance

i haven´t experience with tension in short scale, it can be a problem? or can help to get strength in the fingers?

i have done a template, is a ibanez S stile body, this is still in the plan phase

the total that i got is 635mms, i liked to buy an steinberger, an some kramers, but the shipping to spain kill me

the desing in the semiheadless is interesting, but i think that the head had resonance

i haven´t experience with tension in short scale, it can be a problem? or can help to get strength in the fingers?

i have done a template, is a ibanez S stile body, this is still in the plan phase

Yow! I did a hypothetical UPS shipment from NY, USA to Spain... 30 lbs for $218 US!!! :D

Heh, I'm sure there is some difference in tone/resonance. But for the purpose at hand (size convenience,) for me, the benefit of compact size outweighs any tonal loss. If you can hear the resonance difference with a head, by all means build a guitar with one B).

Oh, when I said "tight" in my earlier post, I meant "tight" as in closeness of the fingers... as 9of7 X 3of2 later posted. The tension of the strings would be slacker due to shorter scale length... in fact, you'll probably have to use a set of 13's to tune it up to regular pitch (it should feel like 10's.)

Whatever style/design you choose, good luck! Post pictures when you're done! :D