Name Some Tutorials We Need On This Site

I wish I was able to watch youtube videos (computer and ISP too slow), 'cause I can tell you as someone who had a lot of Dan Erlewine articles in print for years, until finally getting all his videos, that printed words of a lot of luthier stuff just doesn't do it justice. Videos rule with this kind of stuff. Things I read ended up being quite a bit different from what I thought after seeing the same things on video. I guess a lot of people know that and it makes it seem a little more futile to try to "write" articles.

I guess the whole thing with "asking" for tutorials puts some negativity into it, at least for me. Sure, I'd like to be able to watch a video on how to convert an import doweled neck acoustic to a bolt-on (I've actually seen enough written articles and photos to be able to do it, but still , videos rule, even when you already know how to do what they show, they still rule). But I would not feel right posting anywhere, " can someone please make a tutorial or video on this ?".

I guess anyone craving more tutorials should just lead by example.

For some reason, the main topic that I had in mind when I mkade this post got changed around into the typical condesending attitude that many people find offensive when new to this site.. I simply said hey lets get tolgether and ALL put in and make some tutorials... I even went as far as to say I will do the carved top tutorial... I never said I wanted these for myself, im just looking at the original and basic principle and goals of this website. TO HELP, to teach, and to learn how to build stringed instruments, Specifically the guitar, and if pooling together and updating, and making changes, and adding new tutorials for the site will help some guy that is completely lost even with the help of hiscocks book, and the search function then whats the big deal? Dont we want to better this community, and help in anyway we can??

Forgive the rant, i think its the Marine coming out of me. WIth that said, when I see something that can be improved, especially with the help of others than i go to work.

-Steve

Steve, sorry if i came over condesending, i see arguments like this on here all the time and usually stay away, but..., the point i was trying to make, is that this whole website is one giant tutorial. I would bet that any problem a newbie would have, its been covered time and time again. It just takes a little bit of effort on a personal front to find it.

Technically, there is a whole tutorial section on www.projectguitar.com. If that fails, just try googling it.

Chad.

There's also been cases in the past where some no good thief took someone's forum tutorial or article and was selling copies of it on ebay or something like that. Nobody needs that crap. The better the article, the more likely that happens.

Most of the time when I come across a good tip on a forum, I copy it and save it in my email draft box. Quite a mess in there now, , but I have tons of info in there. There's actually a small numbers of guys on the internet that whenever I see they've posted, I read it and often save it, adding to what I saved of theirs before.

I don't think of any single forum as a "one stop shop", but I guess there are some who want to create that for some reason. What's really pitiful, is when people take info from one forum (written by someone else) and take it to their "safe haven" forum as a way of making the home base bigger and better. And they think the original author ain't watching the whole thing. I once posted some of my router-planing stuff at MIMF. A guy takes it over to OLF and one of his buddy's writes " let's make a few changes and call it an OLF design".

Oh yes, I'm ranting. Have been the whole time I've posted in this thread. Don't think I'm not aware of it.

I agree no one should steal someone elses work without due credit. Im not asking for tutorials to be written for myself. I collect and save anything i find useful... I have over a gig of tutorials, and images i have saved. I just thought it would be helpful for tutorials that are in depth and very helpful to be put on the homepage... I mean there isnt a single tutorial on how to actually route a neck angle into the pocket, or carve one into the body. I know how to do t his myself, but others like myself had a hard time learning things like that. Im jsut trying to help as many beginners as i can,.

Then there's the blog style way, which I can imagine is quite appealing, because with that, you can really take your good old time, and not even feel so obligated to finish anything. LOL. I suppose if I ever get a digital camera again, I might make a blog, but only to try to prove I know what I'm talking about. Not so much to hold anybody's hand and Lord knows I never reveal all of my secrets, so it will be a suck-ass blog.

Amiee, maybe you could explain it once more and write the definite tutorial if you´re up to it. How about utilizing some free software to do this, such as GIMP? I´ve already asked Quarter for a Tru Oil finish tutorial. I´m sure there are plenty more topics that would be great to add to the tuts, especially the most frequently asked for.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=43246

Here's a rough version

The search function is not the best, but I can usually find anything I need on it. If you click on the Advanced Usage Help it gives you options to really refine your search. I don't want to come off as condescending, but the information is there. A lot of questions newbies ask is already in tutorials, they just don't want to look for them. How many times do you see posts referring people to the tutorials. We get asked at least once a month how to determine neck angle and not only is there a tutorial on it, it is a PINNED tutorial. What is the purpose of creating new tutorials when no one reads the ones that we already have.

USMC, I'm only pointing this out to make a point about the newbies in general and not specifically towards you. An earlier post of yours just works as a good example, so please don't take it the wrong way. But a link was posted to to the Guitar Electronics site, and you replied that diagrams are not always the easiest to read and a pictorial would be better. What they give you are point to point pictures. Same as Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio, they can't be made any easier. I can't read schematics well and I can follow those just fine.

A lot of the newbies on here are used to this modern age of instant gratification and don't want to work for answers themselves. Look at who is the largest user of the search feature, Perry Ormsby. That tells you something about the information that is available.

The biggest suggestion that I could have would be to change the layout of the board slightly. Create a new category at the very top. Label it Information For First Time Members. Put the tutorials under there. Put a topic with a link to each of the pinned topics. Make it so obvious it hits you right in the face. Everyone posts into this section of the forum because it is the first they come across. Whether it is a finishing question, progress pics, electronics or general questions. So put the tutorials so they are the first thing you hit, not in the middle of the page.

God this whole thread is a waste of bandwidth. if your to ******* lazy to do a search then don't try to build a guitar. It's a waste your time and ours, not to mention the wood.

Oh this post is a waste of even more bandwidth.

So why doesn't Perry do the tutorial write up on " How to do a search on this forum and not ask the same **** question for the hundredth time.

Edited by MexicanBreed
Please take some minutes to read forum rules regarding foul language.

• 2 years later...

You know if the tutorial section wasn't littered with questions that should be in another section it would be easier to find the tutorials... If you go several pages deep into the tutorial section you will find a lot of good stuff. But it is a pain weeding through the million "How do I do this?" threads in there.

well if one of the mods ever gets bored enough to go through and cull all the bs threads out of there. It might be best to lock down the tut section then when some one does make a tutorial they can post it in another section and just pm a mod to have it moved there. idk that might be a lot more work than i think it is i havent' ever been a mod so i really dont know what its like behinds the scenes.

Bit of a zombie thread, however this is now what is being worked on via the main site integrating with the forums. The tutorial sections are perhaps crossing purposes somewhat with the main site however there will be an overall shift between the discussion and plasticity of the forums and the permanent articles in the main site.