Which Classical Shape Is Nicer?

B. Aaron

Which shape, folks?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I already know which shape I prefer, but I want to know what other people think.

4521925079_b504ecd24d_o.jpg

Which of these two CLASSICAL GUITAR body shapes do you prefer, from an entirely aesthetic standpoint? Things to consider:

- Which looks more harmonious and alluring?

- Which looks more comfortable to play?

- Does one look more classical than steel-string or vice-versa?

- Does one give you more of a good gut feeling than the other?

Do not be concerned with things like "will the sides be easy to bend?" or "which has the larger vibrating surface?" or "I can tell they're different, but I'm not sure how." All I want to know is which one you prefer.

(Note - the bridge blanks are just that: blanks. The actual bridges will be somewhat smaller; they're just there to give a rough idea where the bridge will be.)

killemall8: I assure you, they are quite different, though not at a quick glance. Hint: it's mostly in the waist.

Prostheta: if you feel neither has a distinct advantage over the other, I would appreciate your opinions on the two shapes even if you don't put in a vote.

Edited by B. Aaron

I went for right for the following reasons. The slightly smaller upper bout would make for better upper fret access. The deeper waste will make it more stable when playing in the classical position. I like the look as it is a bit retro. I have a 1920's Spanish classical that has close to the same. The wood and finish would make a differrence though. If you are using unusual wood or finish I would go for the left.

although i think you should make one explorer shaped so killemall has a proper option to choose :D

Heehee, zing

I almost made an Explorer-shaped semi-hollow a few years back (kind of like a thinline Tele, but a different shape) but decided not to after coming to the conclusion that I didn't like the way semi-hollows sound. I just thought it would be fun to play an Explorer in the big-band I was playing with at the time, yet still have it sound jazzy.

Akula: "...it just caught my eye first."

That's exactly the kind of feedback I like.

Workingman:

Yes, they'll definitely sit differently. The upper bouts are actually very similar sizes on both guitars when you lay the blueprints on top of each other; I don't think they'll have a huge impact on upper-fret reach. They mostly look different due to how they flow into the waist.

• 2 weeks later...
definately the curvier one on the left, takes it a little towards a parlour guitar shape - which i always like...

although i think you should make one explorer shaped so killemall has a proper option to choose :D

:D

The right one, smaller overall size will make it more comfortable to play, and prob' because my classical is a simillar shape.