Painful Bridge!

So, this will probably seem stupid to many of you, but maybe someone can provide me with a solution.

I just assembled a guitar with a new Strat-style tremolo bridge, using the six seperate saddles, each using two height screws. However, to get the action low enough, I had to back these screws out a good amount. Now, anytime I palm mute anything, these painful sharp screws are stabbing into the back of my hand!

I've encountered this before at the shop I work at, but I have never given it much thought. Is there an easy solution to this? Thanks!

Throw a business card shim (or something similar) into the heel end of the neck pocket to give it a bit of a neck angle, and then you'll need to raise the action a little bit at the bridge and voila, less set-screw will be jabbing your palm.

i had to do the same on one of my fenders btw it doesnt take much a piece of 400 grit sandpaper did the trick for me.

Use shorter screws. Walla it's that easy.

buzz down the bottoms of the screws

I second those suggestions. Either get shorter screws or shorten the ones you already have.

i had to do the same on one of my fenders btw it doesnt take much a piece of 400 grit sandpaper did the trick for me.

Sandpaper seems a bit more work than neccesary to me. I'd start with cutting of some length with a good cutting plier or other cutting tool and file down the remainer / sharp bits.

Offcoarse, you need good cutters that work for metal / steel, otherwise you'd just dull / chip your tools.

i was refering to using it as a shim. i tried several diffent things and it just worked out that a piece of 400 girt sand paper was the right thickness to angle the neck out enough so i didnt have thos screws sticking out.

Haha! Nice.

I think the best reason to go with a shim instead of grinding down screws is that a shim can be removed later, but ground-down screws can't be built back up: they have to be replaced.

i dont beleive you should ever change your style for an instrument; at least your bread and butter instrument; if anything i would shop for an insrument that suited my style perfectly; thats like sayin to go to a gym so you can play a 50lb bass

well it depends, ive got a lot of guitars, and i dont wanna ruin (or alter) this guitar (its an old strat) because its got tall saddle screws, i just avoid them : )

if the OP's guitar isnt important or original then its not much fuss to cut the screws down a bit.

i dont beleive you should ever change your style for an instrument; at least your bread and butter instrument; if anything i would shop for an insrument that suited my style perfectly; thats like sayin to go to a gym so you can play a 50lb bass

well it depends, ive got a lot of guitars, and i dont wanna ruin (or alter) this guitar (its an old strat) because its got tall saddle screws, i just avoid them : )

if the OP's guitar isnt important or original then its not much fuss to cut the screws down a bit.

Going by the OP's post, the guitar is either a new build or he already altered the guitar by installing a new bridge :D

Still, I dont see how altering / changing a few screws could be seen as altering or ruining an instrument.

Unless it's a vintage instrument offcoarse.. (what was that site with $1000 screws and $10000 pickguards? :D )

no, it doesent affect the vintage-ness of it; its a screw; and they need to be changed to keep your instrument in optimal working condition; when a turn signal dies on a vintage car do you stop making lefts?

:D :D

Yep I go past the light I want to turn left at then make 3 rights gets me back on track every time. Not so good on gas though.

B) B)

no, it doesent affect the vintage-ness of it; its a screw; and they need to be changed to keep your instrument in optimal working condition; when a turn signal dies on a vintage car do you stop making lefts?

I think the kind of people paying so much $$$ for screws and pickguards are also the kind of people who would never actualy *drive* a vintage car. Collectors basically, putting that guitar in a glass cage.

i think if you have one or two guitars to alter it makes sense to cut down the screws to size or shim the neck.. takes a few minutes and you are good to go without having to spend anything.

If you do regular work on guitars it makes sense to keep a stock of a few different sizes - because they do come in different lengths for this very reason! buy a few different sets to be able to mix and match

1/4, 3/8 & 5/16

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/screws_bridge.htm

if its a vintage guitar for a regular player/gigging guitarist i would buy some the right length, replace the ones that are their and keep the original somewhere safe. If its a vintage guitar for a collector then the originals stay where they are and they work around it